• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would certainly like to see the coarse offered in a one week format from time to time. I know that I can certainly do a week in the summer more easily than I can get off two days during the fall or spring terms. Pluss, I don't really like to make two trips for what could be done in one. That being said, for many people a week simply is impossible.

Mine was the week-long, but it had to be, because it was in Okinawa, and many of the participants had to fly in from Korea or Japan. One round-trip plane ticket was bad enough, two would have made it too painful to go.

Our council does a week-long course, too...same reasons: transportation costs.

KS

Camp Freedom sounds great, 3947. Does the Transatlantic Council offer reduced air fares? Really, I'd consider attending if the airfare is reasonable.

EIK, thanks for the link, I found it to be very helpful. I'm hoping it's not a total listing, since I thought every council offered Wood Badge every year, and there aren't that many listed.

Therefore, I renew my inquiry. Anyone who knows of a weeklong Woodbadge session this year, please post it here. Thanks!

Not every year, it really depends upon demand. Our council does it about every 18 months. However, demand was so high for last Fall's course (they had to turn people away), they decided to go ahead and do one this Spring. The next one isn't planned for another 18 months, however.

The new course actually works better over two X 3 days. While no one is saying it out loud me thinks the six day course will become almost a thing of the past.

Not every Council offers a course every year. The Council I'm in is part of a cluster. We along with five other Councils were to offer two courses a year. Sad to say this isn't happening as we are not getting the numbers required to hold two courses. So far we have only managed to get one course a year off the ground.

The cluster is comprised of mostly small very rural Councils distance seems to be a big factor. I have staffed courses at the far end of the cluster and it is three hours each way. Boy Scouter's don't seem to mind having to travel, but Cub Scouter's seem to not like it.

Seeing a course fail to get off the ground for lack of numbers and not reaching the minimum required number is a real shame. The CD has attended the CD Conference and paid for that, the staff have made arrangements to attend the course and have attended a couple of development weekends, sometimes traveling a fair distance and paying the out of pocket expenses. Then it all is for nothing. The staff working the course are just everyday volunteers.

So Please, Please, support your local Wood Badge Course.

Eamonn.

Our council does two WB's a year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I believe it was last year that they attempted to do a week long course in the summer and didn't get enough participants to make a go of it. I think it is easier for people to take two Fridays off of work than to take five days of vacation.

The Northeast Region has the following six day course approved:

NE-IV-177. August,22-27. Hawk Mountain Council.Reading Pa.

I have been informed that 38 Councils in the Northeast Region have reported:

21 Autumn Courses.

9 Summer Courses.

8 Spring Courses.

3 of the courses are week long.34 are 2 weekend courses. 1 is a Religious Observance course.

I only get the details about the courses in Area 4.

I know these are a long way from where you are located. Hawk Mountain is a nice camp. I staffed what turned out to be the second to last week long Cub Scout Wood Badge course that the Northeast Region offered. The last one was in Germany, hosted by the Transatlantic Council which is part of the NE Region.

Eamonn.