Wood Badge and its shortcoming

Looking at the participants for NE-IV-153, Boy Scouter's were not in the majority.

22 Cub Scouter's

8 Venturers.

9 District Types (Commissioners and District Committee members)

3 Council Types (Scout Executive and Board members

6 Boy Scouter's.

Being as only six participants were actively involved in the Boy Scout program and 26 will more than lightly never use the Patrol method, why change the course for the few.

Maybe we should be looking at Specific Training and its shortcoming?

Eamonn

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the records for C-03-04, the course we just finished in our council. Over half the participants (52 total) were Cub Scouters, and about 1/3 were Boy Scouters. In reviewing the evaluations, most were about the food. (Seems that is always the issue at council camps) The lectures were second. To long, to much sitting around. No complaints about time as 21st Century affords the participant ample time. We tried to be Cub friendly as much as we could and still stay within the syllabus. We did use a suggestion from Eamonn and did a Pack Gilwell Gazette the first morning and had Den Name Tags for the participants until after they crossed over, then gave them their Patrol Name Tags. That seemed to go over well. I do think the course needs some teaking, but is a good way to show all Scouters that we have one program, The Boy Scouts of America. I have read the National Youth Leadership Training Syllabus, and it uses some of the same ideas of leadership that 21st Century does, it is designed for youth. In our council some of the "old guard" that have taught JLTC in the past have some problems with it, but it's a good change.

Dancin

I just completed my Wood Badge Cousre in September - Course #C-16-04. The "Outpost Hike" is back in. In fact, it was one of the enjoyable aspects of our course in that we Wood Badge participants had a chance to sit around a campfire and discuss what the course had done for us. It also allowed for an interchange of ideas.

Yes, the classes can be long and maybe the team building issues that are used need some refining but when you think about it, a Boy Scout Troop operates as a team in a lot of aspects. Yes, there could have been more training for the areas that all of us are involved in but I wouldn't give anything to be "Back to Gilwell"

During my Wood Badge experience, we had a "packbacking hike" to our patrol campsites, it was roughly 1/4 mile, if that long and during the prep time, many of the staffers were running around making sure all were ready for the hike and were offering transportation for those who needed, required, wanted it, its not a reason not to do Wood Badge(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Our "outpost" hike was actually a campsite on the western side of the Camp that is not used. One of the things that it served to do for us was to know that there are some skills that we need to acquire in order to teach our boys properly, particularly because we had to "navigate" to the site by some coordinates that we were given using a compass.

Again, I stress that the most important aspect of the hike was that all of the participants got an opportunity to talk one on one without the class aspect surrounding us. I mean there are some things that I learned from Cub Scout leaders on what I can do with my boy scouts. That helps us do what Scouting was intended to do ...develop our young men

Bad back, bad knees, CPAP machine for sleep apnea...so I don't do "backpacking" any more, although I earned three 50 miler awards as a youth. I let the younger dads handle that now. It's good to know that it's something I need to ask about when (if) I "request to be invited" to take WB. Thanks for the info.

It seems this topic has been exhausted but here is one more shot. Patrol method, den method, team method...does not matter. This is a leadership training course. In the short six day period you are exposed to the same pressures and problems that any small group goes through. You might now understand how the new cub scout, boy scout or venturer feels and can spend the right amount of time making sure that the individual succeeds in scouting, regardless of who leads the effort.

I took the "old" cub scout trainer woodbadge and the old boy scout woodbadge. Same methods, different goals. I have been on staff of two "new" woodbadge courses. There are definitely some improvements that can be made but, overall, the course delivers what is intended to be delivered. It is not an outdoor leader skill course, it is a leadership course. I have found that if the adults in a unit can get along...lead each other...the boys seem to succeed. If not, say bye bye to the unit.

Hello Kwarmack and ScoutLdr,

An "Outpost hike" is not part of the 21st Century WB course as outlined in the course guide. I would suggest that if your staff did that, they would appear to be not following the guide.

There is an overnight experience, but the degree of hiking involved is intended to be minimal. It is intended that anyone who is approved by their physician to attend WB can go. ScoutLdr, you should not need to worry.

In my course (21st Cent.) we had nothing like a outpost hike, but we did have one night of fellowship that was planned into the program.

During the first weekend the staff let it be known that we might have the opportunity to have our own informal gathering during the second weekend. So with that in mind we were supposed to conclude that a little preparation might be in order.

The second weekend rolled around and the staff let us know that they would be off site one night and that by know means should we all get together and have a campfire. It was very coy!

Well of course we organized ourselves and had a campfire. Shy of being a Pollywog, I dont think Ive ever laughed so hard. This was the mother of all campfires and not because of the fire. What an episode, I only wish someone would have taped it.

With 15 lbs of shrimp cocktail some of us were more prepared than others. There were about 60 of us in a circle around the fire. As the shrimp made it to the other side of circle, all I remember was this very loud booming voice making declaration that at least someone here knows how to camp!

It was a great night.

For our overnite experience, the staff had placed 4 dutch ovens along with the ingredients to make various cobblers using cake mix, fruit filings and a can of soda. There were also coolers for each patrol left by our Troop Guides that had goodies.

We sat around the campfire singing songs, eating cobbler and just sharing what Woodbadge meant to all of us. I will never forget that experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone;

I took WB last May/June after 2 years as a Den Leader. While there were things I would do differently (e.g., the patrol method is useful, but it can be carried too far), I've found that the course has been useful. Through my ticket, I think I'm really contributing to the improvement of our Pack, and these skills can certainly be carried over when/if I become a Boy Scout leader.

I think of WB the way I think of a Ph.D. I actually do have a doctorate, and for those that don't know, there are two basic parts to a Ph.D: there are the courses, where you sit and take notes and memorize facts, and the dissertation, in which you apply those facts and demonstrate in a concrete way, that you are capable of contributing to science.

WB is the same way, the REAL learning is in the completion of the ticket, and I think it is the real strength of the program. If you've got the time and inclination, you should take it.

A friend of mine wanted to take a cooking class.I strongly recommended our local community college. Somehow, someway she ended up taking a course that dealt with desserts. It was only six weeks so she went anyway.

What she really wanted was a basic cooking course. (She has a hard time making tea!!)

She can now do all sorts of things with puff pastry and is great at making clairs. But has no idea how to roast a chicken. It goes without saying that she didn't get what she wanted or needed from the course she took.

Wood Badge is about leadership. not about how a crew, troop, pack, district or council. For that you need to take the specific course.

I can't see why people don't see that?

Eamonn.

• 3 weeks later...

Was a participant in the old course about six and a half years ago and really enjoyed the experience. Since then I have served as staff on two courses of the new course. They both had their good points and if you realize the intent of the new course is teaching leadership and don't focus on the "old" course skills section, the new course is far better than the old.