"Official" Wood Badge Beads

In order to be "Official" Wood Badge beads, do they have to come from BSA supply? Or can one make their own or get them from other sources?

We are told that our Wood Badge course staff make the beads that we are presented. And I have been told that by multiple people that should be in the know and I believe them. They seem to be of much better quaility than those that are bought from BSA supply. I have both. The beads I got when I completed Wood Badge are very well done and on a black 2mm thick real leather thong with a Friendship Knot tied about 1 1/2" about the beads. The beads I bought as a spare from BSA supply are not near a nice as the beads I got from the course, are apparently of a different type of wood and or finish, and come on a thick rough black leather lace with a simple overhand knot tied about the beads (I replaced the leather thong with a 2mm black leather thong and tied a Friendship Knot in it).

And I have seen Wood Badge beads made of different types of wood and in different finishes - some light some darker. I have seen some with the actual course number maked on them.

I think the symbolism is more important than the source, as long as they're identical in size, shape, color, etc.

I've had Scouts ask me what the beads were, and I really enjoy telling them the story of the Siege of Mafeking, the first WB course, and Baden-Powell's decision to use beads from the warriors' armor as mementos. They enjoy the story, and it a tangible link between B-P's time and the present. I don't think a Scout would notice or care if the beads were from the BSA National Supply Center, or handmade with TLC by a WB course staff...

KS

I think that Owl62 is really asking if there are any WB rules about making your own beads. I don't think you are breaking any cardinal laws by making your beads. Our district provides the regalia from BSA supply.

I have never seen anything written up about it and I don't see anything wrong with making your own beads. I like the idea of having the course number marked on them; it kinda personalizes them.

I would like to just say that the regalia needs to remain a special part of Wood Badge. I would not like to see the regalia devalued in any way. There is a potential to devalue the regalia if it was misunderstood and misused. I am not suggesting that anyone would intentionally cheat the system in order to get the recognition that comes with Wood Badge (Heaven forbid). However, there is a reason that WB regalia is not readily available at BSA trading posts.

Anyway... 'Nuff said about that.

I agree with Eagle-Pete.

I once dropped my beads in some brush and refused to leave until they were found - no only because of what they mean to me, but because I did not want them to fall into the wrong hands. I was amazing how hard they were to see. We literally walked over them a half dozen times before we found them. Camouflaged I guess.

My partner (who also attended Wood Badge at the same time as me) was in England on a business trip and visited Gilwell Park. He bought Beads there for us all in our troop who attended the course. When we finish our tickets (Soon I hope!) we will get "Real" Gilwell Beads.

Might be the same as the BSA ones, but will be "Special"