Who carries a pocket knife?

Yep, a small one in my purse. Although I use the scissors on it most. My boy loves knives and has a small collection and is always looking for more. He is a very forgetful boy so I am concerned that he will someday forget and take it to school. So far he hasn't. He clips his favorite to his pants as soon as he gets home. All men and women can benefit by having a reasonable sized knife on them. Very handy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a buck tool with me on most of my campouts. Around star scout my popcorn sale scout knife (which i've had since i got my whittlin chip) started to become wobbly and I could not bear to break it. I also use upon occasion a 3 3/4" Marbles Fieldcraft fixed blade knife away from scouts. By the way, what makes sheath knives so bad when the offical catalog has a foot long kitchen knife in it! Mabey I should just bring my "kitchen" knife along some time, He he.

Willysjeep,

It's a matter of the right tool for the right job. A pocket knife is a camping tool, a kitchen knife is a cooking tool, a fixed blade knife and large lock blades are widely considered hunting tools are are not considered appropriate use for non-hunting activity.

When you think about it, aside from cooking situations, there really is no need for a blade over about 2 1/2 inches in a campsite situation.

I know there are leaders who like their big knives that will debate this, but remember we are tring to teach scouts to bring only the items that are needed and the smaller and lighter the better.

Bob White

I carry no knife except when camping and usually not on my person. I've got a selection of Trails End popcorn prize knives to choose from.

By the way, in my neighborhood:

Zero-Tolerance Watch

"Supporters have established a fund to help pay expenses for an Eagle Scout candidate who was expelled for bringing a knife on school grounds," the Associated Press reports from Michigan. William Lomaka, a senior at Rochester High School, "denied knowing the 3 1/2-inch knife was in his Jeep Wrangler. School board members who expelled Lomaka on Oct. 7 they had no choice because state law mandates expulsion for students who bring weapons to school."

FYI, expulsion is from public schools in the state, not just the one he was currently attending. Don't you just love mandatory sentencing? Heaven forbid we let human reason into the equation.

P.S. The Scout's name has already been identified by public sources.

(This message has been edited by acco40)

I can see your point about most people considering a bigger knife a hunting tool. And I also hear what you are saying about setting the example with lighter is better. I tend to think that if a scout is responsible enough for a knife then they are responsible enough for any knife (barring swords, macheties, ect). Saftey is surely not the logical reason for this rule, though. Axes and coleman stoves could be far more dangerous than a sheath knife in irresponsible hands. Sheath knives may even have some saftey advantages over folding knives. Besides, some fixed bladed knives are allowed by scouts, like fillet knives, kitchen knives, whitteling tools, ect. Some of these are bigger, and some smaller than sheath knives. I know a normal sheath knife, like they sold for years, would not be used in the same way as the allowed knives. I just think there is no reason to outright ban a useable and practical knife just because some people associate it with hunting. Anyway, what is to keep somebody from claiming a hunting knife is a kitchen knife? There are some kitchen knives that only difer from hunting knives in their handles. I will comply with the rule, but I would like to see it changed some day. Geez, it's kind of like the gun control issue! Which gun is "too big" and which is "too small"!

Just had a bolt of inspiration. You were talking about only packing what is necisairy. Which would seem the logical choice. 1: a kitchen knife for cooking and a pocket knife for utility work. 2: a knife somewhere bitween the two that can serve both purposes. I also understand that a standard scout knife has a few more options than a sheath knife. A sheath knife is just as useful as most kitchen knives, and slightly less functional, but more sturdy than a pocket knife. Just speaking my mind.

As an FYI, the Guide to Safe Scouting does not ban sheath knives outright.

However, not all sheath knives are designed for hunting. The knife that I carry on the river is a fixed blade knife with a serrated edge having a blunt tip being specific to rescue work. Trying to open a folding knife with wet hands in fast water is both dangerous and a waste of vauable time. Even if BSA did ban sheath knives, I would ignore the rule when on the river, as the safety of my crew is more important than any thoughtless edict created by folks who have little, to no experience in the outdoors.

• 4 weeks later...

Never leave home without my Buck knife securly tuked in my right back pocket. Most of my friends kinda laugh about it but there have been more than a few occasions that it has come in handy and they are happy I had it.

I also carry a letherman in my school bag,( I am in college) and it also has come in handy.

I did for a while also have a Vicnox card by swiss army that goes in your wallet, but forgot about it when going thru airport security, I was bummed but it went bye bye. Now I have a little multi tool that goes on my key chain and looks like a key. I still miss my Vicnoix card.

From the point of view of a student, I see the zero-tolerance as ridiculous. Various times in grade school I would forget to take my knife out of my pocket before leaving for school. Ive outgrown most of that forgetfullness by now. I worry somewhat about these no tolerance weapons policies though, its a little ridiculous. I keep the arrow given to me when I kept the Vigil for OA on the back dash of my car. I like to have it in a place where I can see it every day and have it as a reminder. Every time an administrator stops to talk to me the back of my mind says, oh here we go, Ill probably get expelled for the "weapon" in my car. I dont even own a bow. What would I do? Stab someone with the arrow?

As others have said, sometimes these "weapons" are not so functional, but reminders of things. Someone said his buck knife reminded him of his father. People keep symbols around for lots of reasons. Just another example of how zero-tolerance doesnt consider the causes of the offense.

• 4 weeks later...

hoops scout,

Many thanks for your interest.

While I had to go along with the school,after all rules are rules. I was very upset a little time later when OJ (My son) was informed that because of this incident, he was not allowed to attend the junior high dance.

I looked over all the rules, and the notice about the four day suspension, and there was nothing there.

I wrote to the school and sent an E-mail, and never got a reply.

Yes I'm a firm old timer who follows the rules, and have in the past gone to great lengths to have rules that are unfair changed. I do feel that as an adult in Scouting, we have to ensure that we are very careful, that if we do have rules that they are fair and everyone is aware of them. But that is another subject.

I think if your son would have taken the knife straight to a teacher or principal, etc. instead of trying to impress somebody with it. Also, if he wasnt at school, then he shouldnt be at school function. At least that is the policy with our school district.

I carry a TOOLLOGIC wallet card with me all the time. It has a small knife, tweezers,toothpick screwdriver/can opener, mag. glass and compass.

It comes in handy all the time.

When I was in grade school I had several different pocket knives. The biggest admonishment was "keep it in your pocket or it will get taken away!"

It's kind of sad that students today will miss out on these learning experiences.