Who carries a pocket knife?

I've carried a pocket knife on a daily basis since I was a kid. I find it amazing that often on Scout outings, I have the only knife for six adults and 30 Scouts.

Do you carry a knife? Do your friends think that you are odd for having one? Do your scouts carry knives?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry one - a small flat one that my father carried for years in his pocket. I carry it for it's usefullness, and for the memories it brings me of my Dad.

I also have a small leatherman-type tool in my purse. I can't tell you how often the small pliers, screwdrivers or knife have come in handy.

For the boys, however - a knife can get you expelled real fast in most school systems, and is frowned upon in most other places, too.

So they DON'T carry them.

Except at scout outings. If they have their tot'n'chip, they proudly carry them. We try to encourage them to have a case, or hook them on a belt loop, though - as they tend to get lost, and parents get annoyed having to replace them.

I carry a leatherman type knife in my bag as well as a compass,rope,lighter,Flashlight, and first aid supplies. I know I am weird for doing this but I have at times needed all of it for some reason or other plus It takes the "Be Prepared" to the everyday. I keep the knife in a special pocket on the bag so I can remove it if I go into a area where it is prohibted.

The only time the scouts carry a knife in my area are on outings again due to the fact that the schools will expel anyone carrying a knife to school.

The other leaders carry knives to and we teach the new scouts to use them as soon as they go on thier first campout.

(This message has been edited by scomman)

I carry a Buck pocket kinfe with me every day. When I put on my uniform, my knife case (with knife included) goes on the belt along with my flashlight. I consider both a part of my uniform.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I do find it one of the great tragedies of our society that young people cannot carry pocket knives. A classic case of blaming the object and not the person.

I went to college in Indiana and many of the farm boys there carried HUGE (at least the look HUGE to this city boy) sheath knives. They were very practical and useful.

I won't leave the house without my knife. (swiss army) I've carried one everyday since I was 10. Yes, that includes to school too.

Most of our scouts carry them on scout functions but I have no idea about school. I assume not because they no longer allow kids to carry book bags any more.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

I won't leave the house without my knife. (swiss army) I've carried one everyday since I was 10. Yes, that includes to school too.

Most of our scouts carry them on scout functions but I have no idea about school. I assume not because they no longer allow kids to carry book bags any more.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

Bringing a knife to school in Michigan will not just get you expelled, it will get you banned from attending public school in the STATE of Michigan. That is why, years ago when my Bear den earned their Whittlin Chip, it was done away from school.

Heck, I can't even bring toe nail clippers on board an airplane, yet alone a knife.

I will say that because most boys are not exposed to knives at a young age (7 - 11 yr) when they have one for the first time in this age group they are very unprepared. The thought that they could injure doesn't even occur to many. The simple act of closing a pocket knife is a hiar raising experience for me to witness for most scouts this age.

I bring a pocket knife on Troop outings but not on my person.(This message has been edited by acco40)

"Bringing a knife to school in Michigan will not just get you expelled, it will get you banned from attending public school in the STATE of Michigan"

That's amazing. I love this zero tolerance rules that our society has created. I'm sure that these rules have created a very safe haven inside of all schools.

Back in the days when principals could flog kids and parents would flog them again we didn't have issues like kids shooting each other or knife fights in the halls. Even in the bad schools, violence rarely escalted beyond fists.

Now, no one is supposed to touch anyone and violence is rampant because the punishment is no punishment. The average thug isn't going to worry about being expelled because he doesn't want to be there to begin with.

At my son's elementary school, the big punishment was being made to sit on the bench outside of the principal's office. The kids all think that it is a joke.

My brother was on the school board in his town in Pennsylvania and he told me that there, if you suspend a kid he has to be given a chance to make up the work that he's missed. Big punishment.

"Bringing a knife to school in Michigan will not just get you expelled, it will get you banned from attending public school in the STATE of Michigan"

That's amazing. I love this zero tolerance rules that our society has created. I'm sure that these rules have created a very safe haven inside of all schools.

Back in the days when principals could flog kids and parents would flog them again we didn't have issues like kids shooting each other or knife fights in the halls. Even in the bad schools, violence rarely escalted beyond fists.

Now, no one is supposed to touch anyone and violence is rampant because the punishment is no punishment. The average thug isn't going to worry about being expelled because he doesn't want to be there to begin with.

At my son's elementary school, the big punishment was being made to sit on the bench outside of the principal's office. The kids all think that it is a joke.

My brother was on the school board in his town in Pennsylvania and he told me that there, if you suspend a kid he has to be given a chance to make up the work that he's missed. Big punishment.