what happened to on-line training?

I have taken both Youth Protection and Boy Scout Fast Start on-line. Both were located on the servers of scouting.org.

However, the only on-line training I can find now is the Venturing Fast Start.

What happened to the other on-line training? Why is BSA apperently backing away from on-line training?

It seemed like such a good way to offer those early trainings. The interactive nature of the on-line versions was much superior to the videos normally used, in my opinion. It also makes it easier to update the coarses, since new videos don't have to trickel down to the leaders. Most importantly, it allowed leaders to recieve training at the time most convenient for them. In my case, I think I did both sometime in the early AM in my appartment at college one night when I discovered the links to them on the Lincoln Heritage Council website.

OK, minor update.

It now appears that BSA has removed all links to online training from its national web site, but some councils, including the Trans-Atlantic Council, still have these links. I can't even begin to guess why this is the case.(This message has been edited by Proud Eagle)

I believe your memory may be playing tricks on you. YP is only available from local council servers because the training requires each council to customize it to reflect local contact information state and local authority contact information. The National site only directed you to the council site.

Boy Scout Fast Start is still there at

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/faststart/

Cub Scout Fast Start is

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/faststart/

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob White is correct.

Online training has not gone away. In some councils, you can even recharter on the internet, although you still need signatures on paper.

Youth Protection training can only be linked through your council's web site. This to make sure you get the local reporting procedures and recognition.

Fast Start for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturers can be linked through your council's web site or directly from natinal.

Unc.

ProudEagle is saying is that the the Fast Start trainings cannot be accessed by going to the national website. Since the redesign several months ago, the url's are hidden. They can be accessed only if you know what address to type in. There is no link on national website, and the search feature cannot find them.

I will add that there are lots and lots of BSA resources that are "hidden", intentionally or otherwise. Unless you know the direct url, your'e out of luck. They cannot be found by going to scouting.org.

While it is a bit frustrating that they hide things, it is not suprising.

I know the oa-bsa.org site also has a good amount of information that can only be accessed if you know the exact address. An example would be the information presented in a NOAC training session I attended this year. The sylabus, power point presentation, and other information are hidden in the OA shows web site, simply because one of the guys doing the training knew someone in shows who could get it online.

After about 15 minutes checking the dozens of links offered by the search engine, I got lucky and hit the Boy Scout Fast Start Program. No luck finding the Cub Scout Fast Start.

I don't believe they are intentionally hidden. The national site is incredibly complex. If a user can't find what he's looking for in under two minutes, most will give up. For all intents and purposes, there is no on-line fast start training.

"For all intents and purposes, there is no on-line fast start training."

I gotta disagree on that FScouter. If you even go to Google.com and enter Cub Scout Fast Start, the first link it gives you is on the national BSa site. The Same is true of Boy Scout Fast Start.

For all intents and purposes it's there, it just isn't a great search engine yet at the national site.

BW

I realize I'm coming into this thread a little late, but since online Youth Protection training was mentioned, I just wanted to say that even if your council offers YP online, taking the course will not necessarily result in being considered YP trained. In my council, if you have not taken YP before, you must take it at an in-person course with a certified YP facilitator. (It does not necessarily have to be a regularly scheduled course; anyone who has completed the YP facilitator training, which is offered at least once a year at the University of Scouting, may run a course by following the prescribed procedures. A facilitator must actually run a course at least once a year to remain certified, which is why my facilitator certification has lapsed.)

Anyway, once you have been YP trained, you may RENEW your certification (required every 3 years) by doing the training online. That is the way it is in my council, I do not know about any others.

Each Council has the authority to do that if they wish but it completely ignores the whole purpose as to why national spent the time and money to create the in-line training. I present this couse between 12 and 24 times a year, and I have taken the online course, and I would invite anyone to tell me one piece of needed information that is included in the live course that is not contained in the on-line course.

They are pretty much identical. I fwe can get this information into the minds and hands of more leaders by using the available technology then they should be free to make use of it.

I agree with Bob. I've taken both, and do not see any real difference between the two. In fact, I prefer the online, because I can go back to refer to it. I refresh myself on it about every six months, just to make sure I don't forget things.