Greetings all,

I ran across this training at my council's website and have a few questions. I asked our District Vice-Chair for training at the Jamboral last weekend, and he said it was for SMs and SPLs. Well I was interested to say the least. As a new SM with a new SPL, I'm grabbing at any sort of helps I can find.

Anyway, I went looking for course outlines and info on the web, and everything I found seems to indicate that Show-An-Do as a BSA program was replaced by University of Scouting

Third try . . .

Anyway, I went looking for course outlines and info on the web, and everything I found seems to indicate that Show-An-Do as a BSA program was replaced by University of Scouting as an Adult only training similar to Pow Wow. Doesn't sound at all like what our District guy described.

He described specifically a day long course that involved leadership training and integration between the SM/SPL, and focused on the normal operation of the Troop at(This message has been edited by summit911)

He described specifically a day long course that involved leadership training and integration between the SM/SPL, and focused on the normal operation of the Troop at meetings and outings. Again, this sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Any input on Show-An-Do as described would be appreciated, as I can't find any resources.

At the risk of showing my age, at least in Scouting, you, Summit911 are reaching farther back than you know.

The original Show-and-Do (or variations on that spelling) go back some 40 years to the late 1960's. It was indeed a training for SPLs and Scoutmasters to take together. By the Late 1970's it had evolved into the Scout-O-Rama, or Scout Show, in which the public was invited to view Scouting in the field (by ticket sales or publicity.) The intent was less on training then than on learning. Ticket sales and public interest faded and by the 1980's most had disappeared.

There was a brief resurgence of the idea in the late 1980's, but it fell off.

I don't have any syllabi left from the 1960's courses.

Unc.

Sorry Unc I gotta back Summit on this. I have Scout-o-rama collectibles going back to the 1950's they did indeed become Scout Shows.

Show-and-Do is a different animal alltogether. They morphed into All Out for Scouting and then into the University of Scouting. Show-and-Do was an adult leader training program (sometimes junior leaders were invited). In one of the more common formats leaders would view skills during the first half of the day and then compete in contests as patrols the second half while applying the new skills they had learned.

In the 70s and early 80s participation at a Show-and-Do was required to earn the Scouters Training Award.

Hope this helps.

BW

I have no idea what you are talking about Scoutnut, could you elaborate?

What you call Bear Paw, national calls JLT (Junior Leader Training) and they allow local councils to market it under whatever name they want. But Show-and-Do was an Adult training course that some councils allowed junior leaders to attend. They did not get training credit it was just fun for them to do with the leaders.

As far as national not offering it, not everything done in councils and districts must come from national. But if you are doing a national program then you have an obligation to follow the national materials that apply to it.

Bob - Perhaps having this site chop my reply into 3 parts confused you. Summit was asking about Show-An-Do. My Council has not done one in at least 9 years and I have not heard of any nearby councils doing this. From the other replys here it seems that Show-An-Do is a very old training course that is seldom, if ever, used any more. I was curious how his council came up with this since it is obviously a very outdated, old trainig course.

I went on to say that the closest thing my council does in the way of leadership training which involves interaction between the SM and the youth being trained is our Bear Paw Junior Leader Training (JLT - yes the one from National). However it is only vaugely similar.

I also mentioned that my council does a right grand job with JLT (our Bear Paw).

I highly reccomend JLT training to any SM for his SPL, or his ASPL, or PL's. Especially a new SM with a new SPL who is "grabbing at any sort of helps" that he can find.

I hope that this is clearer.