On the course last year we did have approval from the region to go to nine patrols and as I said there would have been a Raven Patrol.

In my travels I have only met one Raven. A very nice young chap who serves as a DE in Buck Tail Council.

Come to think of it I would much rather be a Raven then a Buck Tail!!

Eamonn

Bob, thanks for the info that the Course Director can pick the order.

You state that with such authority. Have you been a course director?

It's just that your "facts" don't align with what the course director put out at our woodbadge training course.

It may well be that the course director was unaware that he was allowed to deviate from the order listed for patrols.

Not trying to question you, because you seem to be correct "most of the time". I just don't want to tell people that the "antelope" is the rarest woodbadge member if my course director was wrong.

Thanks.

While I have not been to the course director school I have been on several WB staffs, and have served in every position except assistant SM and SM. I am very familiar with the course development process. (Because I agree with with Eamonn, it is a strange rule that prohibits course directors from serving on staff again, I have chose to turn down the offers I have had to be one)

This last course I served on used Beavers, Bobwhites, Eagles, Owls, Bears and Antelopes. We skipped Fox and Buffalo. This was by the course director's choice.

What I do not understand is what difference it makes whether or not you belong to a rare patrol or a common one. What patrol name you are assigned is random. Patrol groupings are based on a number of elements, the name of the patrol is not one of them.

The only thing that is important is the content of the information gained and the way it is used. Neither of which are dependent on which patrol you were in.

Thanks Bobwhite

I have great respect for all those dedicated scout leaders who serve on the training programs.

The quartermasters, the instructors etc. It takes hours beyond belief to be well prepared for WoodBadge or any other training program.

SO my hat goes off to you, for giving.

As to your comment" What I do not understand is what difference it makes whether or not you belong to a rare patrol or a common one."

I guess thats why Eagle69 asked the question. And the reason our SM explained it. He wanted people to know that when you meet fellow Woodbadgers and sing, it very possible that there will be MANY beavers and only one Buffalo or Antelope.

You also can't tell me that what patrol you came from has no meaning. If it didn't matter, then people would not create logins with their WB patrol name, or they would not discuss which WB patrol they were from.

What patrol you come from IS important to people AND I need to understand why there don't seem to be as many Antelopes as beavers.

Mitch, have you considered that some posters use the name of their WB patrol in their handle because its easy to remember? Others use their name, ranks, offices. Some just happen to use wood badge patrols.

As a scout I was a member of the Hawk Patrol. It never occurred to me that there may be more scouts who have been in the Flaming Arrow Patrol than there were scouts in the Hawk patrol. But I don't know for sure that that is true, and I don't see how it has affected my scouting or my life in any way. I just happened to have been a Hawk and it's a nice coincidence if I meet another Hawk but I have no idea if there are a lot of us or a few, and I do not see how it changes anything.

I just cannot wrap my mind around what would make this an issue of any weight.

Whether Antelopes are many or few no one knows for sure. If it brings you some pleasure to say they are rare I see no harm, but on the other hand I see no need either.

Happy Scouting

BW

• 2 weeks later...

I respectfully add that our patrol names are important in that we learn in WB that we are part of a world wide movement. and wherever I go, I find brotherhood (or sisterhood) in meeting fellow WoodBadgers, and knowing that even in AZ or NorthCA, a Beaver is a Beaver, etc. I now live in a different council from where I attended WB, but the one thing that is constant is the Ideals of scouting. Our WB patrols are not just teams of 5-6 people we attended a course with, they are a connection to the thousands of others we serve in a world wide movement.

I'm a NoCal Beaver, but in AZ I'm still a Beaver. and I have that connection wherever I Go.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just attended Woodbadge I found the following very interesting. The traditional patrol names are Beaver, Bobwhite, Owl, Eagle, Fox, Buffalo, Bear and Antelope (I think I may be close to traditional order of names.) It is important (required?) to have at least one of each critter present at each Woodbadge course. Now we have the Woodbadge for the 21st Century. One requirement is that at least 1/3 of the staff must be new, that is, not having served on Woodbadge staff in the past. If the course is not full they must be careful to rotate the names of the patrols not used. Otherwise they will run out of Bears and Antelopes. The course I attended did not have an Eagle or Fox Patrol, but there were some on staff. If you don't have the critters, who sings their verse in the song?!

Hi Bobwhite Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. From both your postings I can tell that you have not long left the "Happy Land."

If there is no one from one of the patrol on the course we skip that critter. If there is someone on staff who is the only person from a patrol they get to sing solo.

A Course Director can choose not to have one patrol as part of the course for any reason of his choosing. If he doesn't want to have a let's say a Beaver Patrol. There is no reason why. Maybe he just doesn't like Beavers.

While the song and the Patrol names are fun and fun is an important part of the course. In the grand scheme of things what Patrol you are from or not from and the song are not important.

Understanding how Leadership and team development work and getting your vision and mission worked out are very important.

When your time is up and you pass through the pearly gates, you will leave your legacy. Would you sooner when you look down and hear what people are saying hear them say "Jeff was a Bobwhite." Or "Old Jeff was a wonderful fellow, the greatest leader I ever met."?

Enjoy being a Bobwhite, enjoy all the fun that comes from the playful banter. I hope that one day you get back to Gilwell and get to sing "I used to be a staffer and a good old staffer too."

Again Welcome

And I will try not to hold it against you that you are not a Bear or a Cuckoo.

Eamonn.