I'm considering taking Wood Badge now, as a leader in our Cub Scout Pack. I've had some local Scout Masters suggest I should wait and take Wood Badge when I'm involved with Boy Scouts. Is there a real difference in Wood Badge now, based on whether you are a Cub Scout leader or Boy Scout leader?

Since this is my first post here, I'll give a little back ground. I grew up in Scouts, reached Life before getting out. My son started Cub Scouts back in the fall, working on Wolf. I volunteered as Asst. Den Leader. I've had a lot of fun, maybe more than my son! The CubMaster asked me last week if I would be Asst. CubMaster next year, with the plan to be CubMaster the year after that. I have accepted and am very excited about it. My only concern about Wood Badge is if I would be missing something better down the road if I go ahead and take it now. Are those who are suggesting I wait thinking about the old courses?

Thanks.

Brent Allen

Take it now!

The WB course that is offered now (WB for the 21st Century) is great. It will help you build leadership skills. The training will help anyone no matter what group they are with. National states that everyone should take it within the first two years of registered service. The cost is well worth it.

In the Spirit of Gilwell,

k2scouter@yahoo.com

NE-I-215 (2002) Bobwhite

NE-I-226 (2003) Staffer -Troop Guide

NE-I-231 (Sept-Oct 2004) Staffer -SPL

Go ASAP BrentAllen, it is a great tool for better scouting regardless of your current or future role in the program.

The only thing you need to determine is what that role will be immediately following the course. Your goals that will need to be met in the 18-months folowing Wood Badge will be based on that position of responsibility and you have needed to completet the basic training for that position before you attend.

Have a great time!

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob - thanks for the info on the training. I just checked our schedule, and I will have an opportunity in May to take the Cubmaster training I need, well before Wood Badge.

OldGreyEagle - RE: FOG - they didn't get rid of "Cheerful" in the Scout Law, did they? :-)

Dear Brent,

The only thing you will be missing is time with your family. But if you are looking for the ultimate ego trip into adult scouting then Wood Badge is the place for you. Good luck!

Padre,

Well, I'm not looking for an ego trip, just some good advanced leader training. If I get invited to go, I would end up exchanging one week away from the family with another, so it is a wash.

My son is 8 and my daughter is almost 5. Since they have been born, I have spent one week away from them in their entire lives, last summer. My wife and I believe in taking them wherever we go, and our vacations are usually built around them - Disney World, that sort of thing. We have been saving up for our "trip of a lifetime" this year - 3 weeks in southern Africa. Later in the summer, I am scheduled to take our state Junior High Power Rifle team to the National Rifle Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio. This is usually a family trip as well, but this year the matches conflict with my wife's teaching schedule. So I can either go to the Nationals by myself or go to WB.

I'm getting away from the rifle team and more into Scouting, mainly because, as a leader, you can have so much more influence with the boys in Scouting. I was very fortunate to have a fantastic SM as I grew up in Scouting. He was a tremendous influence to nearly all of us. One of my scout mates, Frank, went on to become a Pastor, and he wrote a sermon about how our SM turned him around when he started heading down the wrong path as a youth. The SM did this just through strong will power - no threats or intimidation - just will power. I may post that sermon some time - it really shows the lifetime gift of scouting. I, like Frank, feel the best way to "give back" to our SM is to pass on what he taught us - to help other boys have the same positive experiences we did. That is the main reason I want to get into adult leadership - to give back some of what was given to me. My SM took WB way back, probably in the 70's. He speaks very highly of it, and I value his opinion, as you can imagine.

BrentAllen,

You do not need an invitation to go to Wood Badge. That was the case once upon a time, but that is no longer the process. You simply register to attend. Your Council is probably already accepting registrations for this years course. Contact your local scout service center for details.

Brent

Thank you for your posting. If you ever move to this end of Pennsylvania I would hope that you joined a troop in this area.

I feel bad that some have such a low opinion of Wood Badge. Over the years I have been involved in the course as participant, staff member and course director. I don't know how many hundred of people that I have been involved with during a course. I have no idea how many people I have met or know who have taken the course. I do know that not one of them has ever said that they took the course to satisfy any type of an ego trip.

I wish you only the best.

Eamonn

Bob White,

That is very interesting - here in the Atlanta Area Council, we are instructed to send in an "Interest Form". The last paragraph of our instructions reads as follows:

A REMINDER: Participatio in Wood Badge is by INVITATION ONLY. You will receive an Invitation Letter after your qualifications are verified. Invitations will be mailed beginningin May 2004. Participants should not consider their participation as recognition for past performance, but rather as an opportunity for greater service.

I'm new to this, so I don't know whether everyone who requests an invitation (and is qualified) gets one or not. Sounds like other councils are doing things differently. I'm not complaining, just learning. :-)

BrentAllen,

I took WoodBadge for the 21 Century 2 years ago. At that time our Council also published it was by invitation only as well. I had put off applying for WoodBadge for years because of the invitation thing, I mean who wants to apply just to get rejected.

Well, the way things are run now, if you apply and meet the requirements, trained for your position, etc, then you will be invited. BSA wants as many trained people as possible in its ranks. Hurry and apply now and be sure to tell them you want to be a member of the greatest Patrol of all times. Da'Bears