Wanted: Wood Badge Ticket Ideas

Howdy All!

I am finding this more difficult than expected.

According to my guide, ticket items should be a stretch and not something that I normally or already do. The only thing is that I am so active and do so much, that I am at a loss for ideas.

I've got 3 items figured out, but those last 2 are hanging me up.

1. Diversity training program for the boys in my troop.

2. Our WB Patrol is going to present our project to each of our 4 council districts round tables.

3. A self-assessment of all 4 of my other ticket items.

I am currently an ASM and in May will become the SM.

Our troop already has a web site, eMail group, etc.

I am a member of our University of Scouting staff and have done the web site and publicity as well as taught a course for the past 3 years for the UOS.

I am a registered range master for cub bb & archery as well as scout rifle, shotgun, black powder and archery and participate for a full week each at cub scout day camp and boy scout summer camp.

Any additional ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

I also an ASM in the troop I serve and currently in the process of working my tickets. As most people will say or at least have said to me that your tickets will develop while in the class but personally it took some stress off of me when I had at least 10 ideas already before starting. My tickets include:

1.Troop Newsletter featuring articles from the boys in their leadership position.

2. Attend 1 yr roundtables

3. Troop JLT

4. Fundraiser Coordinator

5. And for diversity we will be camping with a Polynesian troop

Have fun, I did, and can't wait to return to Gilwell Field with my fellow Owls in October to get beaten...errrr I mean beaded.

Howdy Guys!

Thanks for the input.

One of the other ASM's already does the troop newsletter. Maybe I can take on this task. Good idea.

I do almost all of the round tables. Only miss due to illness or family conflict. However, the JLT is a good idea. We had a 'mini' JLT for the troop about 6 months ago. So this may be doable.

Fundraising. Hmmm. We are in the enviable position of having plenty of funding thanks to the smart application of doing projects and fundraisings that include matching funds from local companies. Its like getting $2 for every $1 we raised. Now our fundraising is primarily for donations to the local council to help sponsor projects that need the $$.

Along these lines, I would like to see my boys do more 'selfless' community service projects. Last year's Scouting for Food had a pitifully poor turnout. Maybe there is something I can do in this respect. Hmmm.

I originally had the idea that I could setup several task as SM for my ticket, i.e. percentage retention, percentage rank advancement, percentage increased adult participation, etc. However, my guide indicated that I should focus on goals that I can accomplish more directly via my work effort rather than be dependent upon the work effort of others. While motivating scouts, scouters and parents is a job in itself, he didn't think that this would be appropriate.

However, getting a CPR cert. again, Advanced First Aid, etc. is a good idea.

Thanks again guys. Several things to think about.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

Something that I hope was shared in your Wood Badge training is that the goals of your ticket are offshoots of your personal vision and mission. For any us to suggests goals, without an understanding of those personal elements, diminishes the not only the purpose of the ticket but the relevance of the goals to you as an individual.

A much better resource for you to talk to about this is the counselor that has been assigned by your course director to assist you specifically for this purpose.

Best wishes as you work your ticket.

Bob White

Steve,

On using the 360 self assessment, this should not be used to see how you did on your 4 other goals, but how peers see you doing your scouting position. When the results are gathered by your Ticket Counselor or other person you have chosen, they compile the results and send a summary of the answers to you. Thus, you do not see what the people you picked out to do the assessment on you said.

Dancin

Bob White is correct. We or anyone else can't be much help to you. It is after all your ticket based on your vision and your mission. The items listed the goals are to help you reach your Vision and mission.

You might and I stress might want to sit down and look at what your Vision and Mission really is. I think once you have this clear, coming up with the goals will fall in to place.

If you get the chance ask someone to go over SMART goals with you.

While in a far less structured way I use this process a lot. As a District Chair I want the district to do something. I want our district to be active in meeting the mission of the BSA. This is my Vision. I will make this happen by trying to do everything possible to make sure that the district is a Quality District, this is my mission. To get there I set goals. In membership I may want to improve a area that is weak. In our case Tiger Cub retention. What I am going to do about improving this area becomes my goal. And so on down the list. Wearing another hat I want to ensure that the Scouts from our end of the Council have the best possible time at the jamboree. This is my vision. To ensure that the troop is well prepared for the Jamboree is my mission. Again I set goals to make this happen.

Before the course you were given a pre-course assignment - The Twenty questions. If you take a look at this you will find that it is a great help in writing your ticket.

Good Luck.

Eamonn

Welcome To The Forums

I have to agree with Eamonn and Bob White on this one. Your vision and mission statements are what will help you write your goals. Once you have you vision clear in your mind, the goals should just fall in line. Talk to your ticket counselor, or your Troop Guide. They're there to help you. And Eamonn's suggestion of reviewing the Twenty Questions is a good idea.

Howdy All!

Excellent.

Yesterday evening at our round table the program was about leadership and the speaker kept talking about vision.

Well, I only need to be hit over the head a few times before it sinks in.

Rather than looking for things to do like I have been doing, I think what I really need to is to come up with what my vision is, and as you've all said, the goals should come from that.

Thanks a bunch.

Regards,

Steve.

Your Troop Guide is there to help you focus on this. But start by focusing on your current job in scouting. What are your job duties and where do you wish to improve them? It was stressed to us NOT to take on NEW things but to focus on our current "jobs" in scouting and work within those perameters.

Another important thing is write your ticket so that you are not depending on others(like approvals, work, etc) to get things done. For instance, don't say "I will have 20 boy scouts attend a XXX training," but say "I will hold a XXX training for the scouts." That way if only 2 scouts show, you still have completed your ticket. Or don't say "I will go home and be the Assistant to the Roundtable Commissioner. You may return home and find out that the RT Comm. doesn't need you. Then where are you with your ticket? Make sense?

When I thought about my job as Advancement Chair and the things I wanted to do to improve it for the troop. The ticket came naturally. Also they have you write your one "big" goal first then break it down to 5 parts. When I turned it around and focused on the "little" parts and got them down. I could better think of my ticket statement. Maybe that will help you too.

It's not as hard as you think. You'll do great!