Council Training for MB counselors ?

With such a broad spectrum it would be hard to set up a one size fits all.

Youth Protection Training is available both on line and in most councils at different time of the year.

In our district we ask all scouts to bring a buddy with them when visiting a Counselor.

The Guide To Safe Scouting does instruct acceptable safety standards. I would hope that if someone were the Counselor for a Merit Badge where safety was an issue that they would know and be aware of all the safety factors and strictly follow them. If they don't know these one would have to wonder why they were a merit badge Counselor in the first place? In most cases knowing and following a safe code of conduct is part of the Merit Badge.

Eamonn

I think a training course for MB counselors would be greatly appreciated by the adult troop leader that had parents that signed up to be counselors because they had a great knowledge on a particular subject but had no real idea how to teach the subject and end up "giving" the MB away to anyone who comes to them for an hour or so.

In my last District, I was asked to recruit and train a number of brand-new MB counselors for a MB roundup. Some had Scouting experience, many didn't, etc., etc. I set up an evening training session for them that started with YP training, then a Powerpoint show that took them through the process (with big emphasis on sticking to the requirements), hands-on with the blue cards, gave (loaned) them a copy of their MB pamphlet, then Q/A. Well received, and the event was smooth too, including the paperwork. If you PM me, I can e-mail you the slides on Adobe...

KS

Our Council requires:

- Registration in BSA

- YP training

- An in-house class (held monthly at District Roundtable) that basically introduces concept of neither add to nor take from requirements.

John

Bob White correctly (as usual) listed the syllabus. The council I last served used it religiously and forbade merit badge counselors from counseling until they had gone through the orientation. I thought that was a little extreme, but it's always good to have the proper training before going to work.

DS