Who is going to Wood Badge this spring or summer ?

Sad to say friend of mine is the course director for a Wood Badge course this fall and is having a hard time recruiting a staff. He asked me if I would be interested? I said that I thought three courses in three years was a bit much, but if he got really stuck that I would ask Her That Must Be Obeyed and if I got the green light there I would. I really think that he needs to go out and recruit people who have never staffed before. As it is he has the guy who was my mentor as SPL. He has four beads and my friend will have his fourth bead, that in my opinion is one "Four Beader" too many. However I won't leave him in the lurch. I have too much vacation time anyway.

Eamonn

Eamonn,

My understanding of the Sylbus is that you can not have any four beaders on the staff. The objective of the 21st Century course is to get new staff. I can't believe since you ran a course last year, he can't recruit from those participants who took that course. Just my humble opinion.

Dancin

I'd love to go, but this is one of those things that may have to wait a bit. In addition to our boys involved in Cubs and Scouts, we have a toddler to care for, and that's my primary responsibility. I'm trying to talk my husband into going. Our dates were moved from spring to fall--Oct 2004. Two weekends. By the way, that's the problem for me--one weekend I'd consider, but two is too hard on the family. We sure do have a lot of staff represented on the forums!

I am planning on attending Sept-Oct. 2004.

(I got knocked out of last summer's WB first weekend by the great blackout. SWMBO felt that it was not a great time to be away from the family for three days - right after being stuck in the city for one night).

Dancinfox,

I have been led to believe that there is a time-line in effect. I will check it out and get back to you.

As for last years participants these guys and gals are still working their tickets.

I think that I posted how many "New" Staff members that our course.

Sad to say my friend who is not in our council is what might be called an old time Wood Badger. He will spend a lot more time on the traditions then I did, Gilwell Field will be hollowed ground and that sort of thing. Not that I'm saying that is all bad, it just wasn't what I thought the course was /is about.

His big problem is that he is in a very small council that hasn't developed a Wood Badge Staff. Our council will not host another course until 2006. One of the last things that I did as Council Training Chair. Was to name the Course Director. She has served on the old Cub WB and served as an ASM on our course. She will need to serve as a Troop Guide in order to be the Course Director and I feel she will do an outstanding job. However if something doesn't work out we have half a dozen or so people that could step up to the plate.

Eamonn

Eamonn,

Page 3 of the Administration Guide (2003 printing) states:

Note: The Boy Scouts of America encourages volunteer leaders to achieve high levels of leadership ability. To expand opportunities for as many Scouters as possible, a Scouter should serve ony once as a Wood badge course director and, after serving as a course director, should not serve on a Wood Badge staff again.

There are three exceptions to this rule:

1. At the discretion of the council training chair and with the approval of the Scout executive, a veteran course director with recent course experience may be appointed to be a mentor for a current course director.

2. In the event of the unexpected withdrawal of a course director from a specific course, a veteran course director may assume the position of course director.

3. In no other candidates are available, a course director may lead a second course. However, this situation should be a strong warning to a courncil that insufficient attention is being paid to developing and encouraging Scouters to grow in leadership skills and to accept leadership challenges.

When this years course director and myself as back up course director submitted our list of potential staff members to the Central Region, we got approval with the knowledge that there were no four beaders on staff. Your friend, using a previous four beader as SPL and yourself as a staff member is wrong. My understanding is that your region will not approve his list.

As to your councils next course director, you are right. As of January 1, 2005, requirements for selection as course director shall consist of as least two staff experiences in the Wood Badge for the 21st Century course-one as a troop guide and one other staff position. Tenure as a staff member should not be a factor; the most capable individual should be chosen.

Your friend could use your next course director as a Troop Guide, and some of your previous staff members to fill in his staff if needed. I would believe that there are people in his council that have their beads from previous Wood Badge courses and he could tap them as staff members. If he is an old dyed in the wool Wood Badger, then he must change his thinking for the 21st Century Wood Badge Course to work in his council. In our council, we have read through the Administratiev Guide and the Course Syllabus and the traditions that were in the old courses are not there. This is not Boy Scout Wood Badge, but a course designed for all parts of Scouting, and the way the course is put on should reflect that.

Just my humble opinion.

Dancin