I Me Mine, I Me Mine......And A Baked Spud.

Hello Eamonn,

Your story is wonderful. Thank you for sharing it. The reason that each of is us active in the BSA is that someone recruited us and invited us to join, either as adults, as boys (or girl Explorers) or both. You did the most difficult and most important job of a District Chairman or other District level leader. You identified and nurtured a future leader of the BSA. I hope you are now nominating her for the Silver Beaver.

Having read the other posts, may I suggest the following New Year's Resolution for all posters on the forum:

For each minute that we spend posting, we spend one minute out personally recruiting boys or adults to join the BSA.

I plan to try to follow that resolution myself and I don't mean attending meetings or filling out forms or the like. I mean doing the hard, dirty work of getting to know people, asking them to join and facing rejection (or elation) with their response.

As far as the "my" business, I am reminded of a fraternity brother of mine long ago who argued that one should not congratulate someone for receiving an honor which one has received oneself. It looks arrogant and self congratulating. I understood where he was coming from, but it is so contrary to common usage as to be weird.

And so:

The BSA is my organization.

The Scout Oath and Law are my guide in trying to live my life

The person who tries to take those away from me had better come well armed.

But I am thrilled to share them with anyone who would like to share.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" I am reminded of a fraternity brother of mine long ago who argued that one should not congratulate someone for receiving an honor which one has received oneself."

Interesting but strange. One married man should not offer a new groom his congratulations. . . . well, that one makes sense.

A doctor shouldn't congratulate his son who just graduated from med school?

An Oscar winning actor shouldn't congratulate this years winners?

If you think about it, it seems small to not congratulate those who are joining you. It would seem to be saying, "well, you made it but you're not worthy of my recognition."

(This message has been edited by Fat Old Guy)

Hello Scouts and Scouters:

New guy in the house!

Boy, this thread has gone all over the place.

Concerning the Beatles: like them, but not even close to being a great fan. More of a Rolling Stones type, I guess. Also liked the "second wave" of the British Invasion (Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc.)

Concerning British Humour: I just really haven't seen that many programs, but I think "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is one of the funniest movies ever made. Quite Insane.

Concerning the proper way to refer to a Troop: Myself, other leaders, and the Scouts tend to refer to Troop 260 as "Our Troop...". After all, it is a team effort on the part of the Scouts, their parents, the Troop Committee, the Chartering Organization, and the adult leaders.

Concerning Scouting in general: Priceless.

Welcome WAKWIB,

Yes we have added a lot of logs to fire in this thread you might say it was a Long and Winding Road or even a Magical Mystery Tour.

Still at the end of it all I think that NeilUp and The Man Of Steele are on track. We all need to reach out and develop realationships with young people and adults who share the values of Scouting and are willing to share a little of themselves with and for our young people.We do have a great program with a heck of a lot of good people who work their tails off in it and for it. In fact a good many of us are in it today thanks to people that did just that.

I have to admit that over the past year or so I started to get lost in the maze of meetings and was starting to forget that all the meetings in the world will never replace the face to face meeting.

Again Welcome.

Eamonn