I Me Mine, I Me Mine......And A Baked Spud.

Spin it anyway you want, Bob. You are good at that. You would make a good politician! You infered all who use "my Troop" are bad leaders. You assume that all who use "my Troop" or the tryanical type. Once again you are wrong! Big suprise, huh? I propose those who use "the Troop I serve" are afraid to take responsibility for their Troop.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Studiously ignoring the BobAndFOGandEd Show...)

TwoCub, when I saw the top of your post I thought that maybe your cat or 2-year-old niece or someone had gotten hold of your keyboard. (Based on a true story: When my son was about 2, there were a couple of times when I would be on America Online IM'ing with someone, and step out of the room for a second, and he'd toddle up and type out a message looking something like what you typed, and somehow manage to hit "send." Much to the temporary confusion of the person on the other end.)

Anyway, glad I could pick up on Eamonn's Beatles reference and provide some diversion. I did also get a new Beatles book, though it's only new to me, it was published more than 10 years ago. (The Complete Beatles Chronicle by Mark Lewisohn, it is a day-by-day journal of everything the Beatles did on stage, in the studio, on tv and radio etc. etc.) Let's see, what can we pick out. Ok, 40 years ago today the Beatles appeared at Astoria Cinema in London as part of their 1963-64 Chrismtas show. Let's see... on the date of my tenth birthday, they... oops. Well, they didn't do anything. But the day before that, they were at Twickenham Film Studios filming the "All Together Now" sequence for the end of "Yellow Submarine." Opening to a random page... on June 24, 1966, they appeared at Circus-Krone-Bau., Marsstrasse, Munich, West Germany. (Remember West Germany?)

ManyIrons, I think every U.S. Beatles fan who accumulates the CD's (as I am too) is surprised when learning that many of the CD's are not of the albums that were in the stores when we were kids. Though I guess about 10 years ago someone gave me a book that explained the whole thing, so I learned about it all at once and not gradually. When the decision was made to put out the CD's in the late 80's, they went with the British albums and versions, with one exception. "Magical Mystery Tour" was never an album in the UK, and was put together by Capitol Records in the U.S. from a combination of the TV show soundtrack songs and a collection of recent hit songs that had not yet been released on an album (including "All You Need is Love" and "Strawberry Fields Forever." The CD-makers made the obviously correct decision that this belonged on CD. But several other albums, like "Yesterday and Today" and "Hey Jude," turn out to have been U.S.-only compilations, and the songs from them are on other CD's. (They dealt with the singles, most of which were not on UK albums at all, by putting out Beatles Past Masters Volumes 1 and 2.) It was something of a shock to learn that the first album that I ever bought, "Meet the Beatles," isn't even an "official" Beatles album -- it was the result of Capitol taking the UK album "With the Beatles", adding some songs and subtracting others. They did the same with Rubber Soul and Revolver, though by that time the names of the albums had become distinctive enough that it no longer made sense to change them for the U.S. market. But when I pull out my old warped vinyl of Rubber Soul, "Nowhere Man" is nowhere (heh heh) to be found, and yet there it is on the CD. (It is either on Yesterday and Today or the U.S. version of Revolver.)

Starting with Sgt. Pepper the UK albums were released unchanged in the US, but there still had to be "extra" albums released in the US.

And to bring us almost back to the beginning of the Beatles sub-thread, there are now 3 quite different versions of the great song "Across the Universe" on CD. One is on the "regular" Let it Be with all the orchestration, one is on Past Masters 2, pre-orchestration but with bird and animal sounds added because it was the Beatles' contribution to a World Wildlife Fund fund-raising album, and now the (heh heh) stripped-down version on "Let it Be (Naked.")

And I, too, wish I had the original albums in their wrappers. Oh well...

OGE

This was pure Beatle humor. The Grandfather played by Wilfred Brambell was the star of a British sitcom "Steptoe and Son" on which the American Stanford and Son was based. The old man was a unwashed grummpy fellow and his son would cast his eyes to the heavens and say "You Dirty Old Man."

Eamonn

I have been on this side of the pond for 20 years and I love the USA. I stayed up to watch the moon walk and do think that there will be an American land on Mars. However two things that need a lot of work are American cheese and Sitcoms.

Sad to say some don't export that well. Two of the best ever were Minder and Only Fools and Horses. Early Benny Hill without the chase was good. I always thought that Dave Allen was better. He was a stand up comic who sat in a chair with a big glass of ??? and looked at the foibles of life.

They did show some of his stuff on PBS some years back.

Eamonn