I'm a Wolf DL and am very active in the Pack leadership. My two boys are young and really love Scouting so I anticipate I'll be involved for a long time.

My question to the group is: Should I go ahaead and try for Wood Badge or should I wait to gain more experience as a leader? I can see both sides of it; on one hand, by taking it now my scouts will get the benefit of my advanced training, but on the other hand, maybe I don't have enough experience to derive the full benefit from the training.

I am not afraid of hard work and commitment, and would enjoy the challenge, but I want to get some assurance that I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, if you have completed your basic training (new Leader Essentials and Wolf/Bear den Leader specific Training) then by all means go to Wood Badge. It's not something you "try for" for the way, it is something you "do". I am confident you will find it rewarding regardless of your experience and it will only help to enhance your future scouting experiences.

(Ask if you can be a Bobwhite :) )

Bob White

As much as I hate to disagree with my teeny tiny little feathered friend, but Bears are the only way to go. Of all the Woodbadge critters, only the Bear is an omnivore, we have the most varied diet...

As far as when to take Woodbadge? Why as soon as you are eligible, that is after the requisite training. Dont wait, what you learn will enhance your value later on

Yes, do take wood badge. I'm in the process of working my ticket and after completing the "classroom part" I felt even more gung ho and feel that I'm a better leader already.

Eagle patrol of c-51-03 walks proud ,flies high and is going to train until we die.

Mike:

First rule of Wood Badge (said with a grin) is always listen to an Eagle. I am one as well. In every way I can be (I hope.)

Take Wood Badge now. Assuming you have had your basic training as mentioned, now is the time to get the bigger picture that wood badge gives.

Working your ticket (that you write yourself to put the lessons of the course into living practice) will help you become the awesome leader you want to be.

Besides, it's fun and very rewarding.

If you haven't already, buy a red wool BSA jacket -- and you can't quit until it wears out -- in about 25 years. By then you'll want a new one.

DS

GO! Don't worry about getting more experience as a leader. Wood Badge IS leader training. Oh yeah, pray that the good scout in the sky blesses you with being a Beaver. Beavers are first in Wood Badge order.....you are the first thru the chow line everytime! It's a very good thing! :)

Dang it all, well a scout is trustworthy, which includes honesty and this ol' bear has to give it Scoutmaster Ron, the wise ol' owl. Woodbadge for the 21rst Century presents skills and tools you can use for non-scouting pursuits as well. (Non-scouting pursuits? I didnt think they existed, but unfortunatley they do)

you want a good reason for taking Woodbadge, heres two, you will be a better Scouter and in your occupation

YES,

by all means, go to woodbadge. Not only will you get some great training, you'll meet some fantastic people. Kinda like the people here on this forum.

They say if you're lucky you might get to be a bear, or eagle or whatever.... But if God truly loves you: you'll become a BEAVER!

bd

sr113

If you love scouting GO FOR IT!

Not sure what you mean by Try for it? All you need to do is to have your applaction and money in before the course fills up.

Go in with an open mind and be ready to have some fun, meet some good people, and learn a bunch.

You maybe a Beaver, Bob White, Eagle, , Owl, Bear, Buffalo or Antelope. But if you are real lucky you will get to be a FOX.

http://www.geocities.com/foxpatrolc12/

As everyone above said, take the course. It not only will make you a better leader, and will help in your profession, but it will make you a better person when just dealing with every day people. When you go, I hope you are privileged enough to be a FOX. All the creatures are great, but when it comes to being clever, the FOX RULES.

Dancin

Hi Mike

I thought that I would do a "Letterman" and come up with the top ten list.

Here goes:

Ten Reasons Why Mike Should Attend Wood Badge

1/ You get to join the Happy Land Choir.

2/ Six days without having to mow the grass.

3/ You get to look down on all the other critters.Unless they are Bears or a Cuckoo, in which case you have to look up.

4/The Food.

5/No little fellows.

6/You get to play the "Wood Badge Game"

7/ Six relaxing days at the spa or is it spar?

8/ Gilwell Field is at its' best that time of the year.

9/ All the Course Directors are such nice people. Even those who talk funny.

10/ Many years after you will have really long and very boring tales to tell your Grandkids about the way it was as you drive them to their pack meeting.

Mike you will enjoy the course.

Fun is a very important part of the course.

But most of all you will be more and better equipped to be a better leader.

Go For It.

Eamonn

I used to be a cuckcoo, I used to be a Bear.

While I'll always be a Queens Scout I'll never be a .....(We won't go there.)

• 3 weeks later...

Alright Mike.

Way to Go. You won't regret it. Oh, and when you plan the "Game of Life", Remember it's just a game.

Read "Leadership and the One Minute Manager" and "Who Moved my Cheese". These books will get you up to speed on the lecture part of the course. I just read the "Leadership Pill" it was really good.

You'll have Fun.

Pay no attention to the other Critters making noise on Gilwell Field. It's the "Fightin' Bobwhites" that starts the pecking order Or is that Food Order?

have Fun . . .

Matua

I used to be Bobwhite and a good ole Bobwhite too.