University of Scouting, Pow Wow, Show & Do, Etc

Pow Wow Plus was yesterday and it was a great success. 276 participants and 84 staffers. Not a bad attendance number when you consider it was the same day that our two largest colleges (OU and OSU) play their grudge match. Our Pow Wow Plus covered Cubs, Boy Scouts, Venturing and Sea Scouts.

Just finished with Pow Wow. Know how we came up with courses? Hit on Pow Wow sites and dumped their courses and descriptions on to an excel spread sheet. Had over 250 course ideas for cubs when we went to plan Pow Wow. have stored ideas for University of Scouting if we go that direction. Have about 250 options for that, too.

A lot of the Pow Wow registration material has the session descriptions, so a trainer can take that and make up their own material.

We have a University of Scouting in the early spring. This year will be the first year I am involved, so I am really not sure how large our UoS actually is. I know that this year there will be a number of Venturing Crew classes offered --- in fact some of the crew members from the council are teaching classes this year. They have me teaching the LNT class.

• 1 month later...

Both are supplemental training and there is a great deal of flexibility in putting them on. I don't have national definitions for these because they don't exist in the way that New Leader Essentials, etc. exist.

Generally speaking, Pow Wow refers to a Cub Scout leader training event. Many of these also hold Den Chief Training simultaneously, but not always.

Generally speaking University of Scouting involves classes for one or more program's leaders.

Either way, they're fun, educational, inexpensive (generally) and worth the time.

DS

Thank you Dave! I am attending Pow Wow 2004 on January 10, so I was just curious what the differences were. I have been anxiously looking forward to this one, for all those I've met throughout council love it--not one negative thing to say.