Now that we are done, what else?

OK, Myself and six other District collegues have completed our ticket items and the whole lot of us, (all seven) will be receiving our beads together prior to the Demeber District Roundtable.

Is there a resource for planning a Beading Ceremony?

Are there essential parts of Beading Ceremony?

Any hints on planning the ceremony?

To echo what Bob White said, the Course Director will take care of it all. Usually the ceremony explains the history of Wood Badge, the history behind the Axe & Log, the Neckerchief, the Woogle and the Beads. There are sample beading ceremonies in the Wood Badge Staff guides as well as many sources on the internet. When I have done them in the past I have usually asked the person who will be receiving the beads if he wants the long or short version of the ceremony. Long is about 20 Mins, short 7-10.

A slightly different view here. While it is the Course Directors responsibility to carry out the ceremony, the actual planning of time and place, at least in our council and those adjoining, can be, if so desired, the task of the recipient(s). If the recipients desire to receive their beads in their own troop- setting, they can make it so. If they desire to make their own invitation list, they are free to do so. If they want to receive their beads as a patrol rather than individually, that can be made to happen, also.

Point is, yes there is a standard presentation ceremony that is carried out by the Course Director and his staff, but there is a lot of the event that can be left to the desires of the recipients. Or there should be... I do know of a council nearby that is pretty set in their ways and no one gets anything outside ot the same ol' place, same 'ol time, same 'ol, same 'ol...

We've long ago taken the stance that after putting into the program as much as the candidates do, once they successfully complete the work required, they should be offered the opportunity to receive their beads in a setting of their choice...working with the Course Director, of course, to make sure that their aren't prior committments in the way.

Hope you have the same opportunity to make your ceremony just what you want.

Ill be getting my beads in a few months, Since Im a Cubber, I through that Id have my bead ceremony at Pack night. Its been suggested that the ceremony would be lost on the parents and kids, and, that it would displace any other activity that was planned for that meeting. Instead, there was a suggestion that the ceremony be done a Roundtable, and that I can bring my kids and their parents to Roundtable so that they can watch, (or be a part of) the ceremony.

Any comments or suggestions ?

foto

We just ended our course this past weekend.

I of course hope in the months to come that all the participants will be in need of "Beading."

As course director, they can tell me when where and if they have found a ceremony that they want to go with.

If not. There is a ceremony in the Wood Badge Staff guide and I have found others on the web.

In the past there have been people who have requested that someone who is close to them be the presenter.

My feelings are that it was their ticket and they have earned their Wood Badge beads. If they want another Wood Badge holder to be the presenter, that is fine and dandy with me.

Eamonn

I am so glad this thread was started, because it is answering some questions I had myself. I just finished the course a couple of weeks ago and am beginning to work my ticket. I left scouts as a Webelos and never went on to Boy Scouts as a kid. There are two men I have known since childhood who were members of my church. They were both very active in our church youth program as well as very active scouters. I grew up from being under their leadership in our youth program to end up serving as a fellow Deacon with them. These men's sons are now in their mid to late 40's like I am and are no longer active in scouting. However, It would mean a great deal to me to have these men included in my future beading. Their scout spirit carried over into other areas of their lives and had a great influence on me.

Old Grey

Congratulations to you and your patrol members completing the ticket. It seems like you were just posting about starting the course. All seven of my patrol members completed their 9 item tickets and no one finished in less than a year and a half. You guys are fast!

Beaver,

When your beads are presented and the two other gentlemen are present may I suggest that you be sure that your District Executive or other appropriate District Representative are present and are briefed on their history. It borders on criminal when we, as an organization, lose touch with people like this who contributed in the past. They might wish to have some further involvement or possibly some financial gift and should have the opportunity to be invited.

Great posts.

First off to OGE, Congratulations on Finishing. You'll have Fun at your Beading ceremony. I know I did.

Being a couple of thousand of miles from council, I had the opportunity to receive my beads during the Districts Annual Banquet. Since my beads, neckerchief, woggle, and certificate did not arrive on time, I was presented the beads and gear from a fellow woodbadger, our former District Commissioner. This was a total Surprise.

Last September's RT, Our Former District Executive and our new and current DE called me to the front. I thought I was being ambushed for a skit or song. I was caught off guard on being presented my Own Beads, neckerchief, and woggle that finally arrived from council. It turned out to be a great evening and Fun all over again.

Matua . . .