Im curious. How many councils have some sort of supplemental training day, be it a Pow Wow, Show & Do, University of Scouting or something else. By council has a day for adults and a day for youth. Here is what Id like to know:

1. Who is the day geared for? Cub, Scout, Venturer, Varsity, Explorer, District and/or all.

2. How many classes are there for each area?

3. What time of year do you hold it?

4. What is your attendance like?

5. Do you have a course for youth?

This is just a start. Feel free to add questions that will add to the topic.

Overtrained

We have a Pow Wow in the Fall which is just for Cub Scouting. If there is a Boy Scout Pow Wow, I'm upset that I've missed it for all these years.

In the Winter there is the University of Scouting. UoS has courses for all levels of Scouting. Both Pow Wow and UoS can accomodate thousands of Scouters and are always full to the gills. I don't believe that either have courses for youth but that is a good idea.

There's a Pow Wow every fall which features courses for pack and troop leaders (including an offering of NLE). Den chiefs are also invited to attend.

Along with four other councils, my council co-hosts a University of Scouting every January.

Our council hasn't had a real Cub Pow Wow in a couple years. The last time they did is was a Cub-only event with probably several dozen different courses offered. I think it was held in Jan. or Feb. Several hundred people attended. The only courses offered for youth was Den Chief training.

Although that was a really successful event, they've not held one in the past three years. Last winter they tried tacking a few Pow Wow-like courses onto the other training days. It's not a very effective way of handling it. People who need to take Fast Start/NLE and a position-specife course don't have time to take anything else and there isn't enough selecion to attract others to the Pow Wow courses.

Our big training event every year is a College of Scouting-type event in September. They offer a few Pow Wow-type courses there, but because the emphasis in September is on basic training, most of the Cub leaders can't take advantage of it. They offer quite a few Boy Scout Pow Wow courses and they seem to be well attended. In my case, I've taken all the Cub Scout courses, so I may take some of the Boy Scout classes, possibly even Fundamentals -- haven't really decided.

Our Council has recently opened up the Cubs-only Pow Wow and turned it into the University of Scouting. Includes some outdoor skills demonstrations and is primarily intended for adults and leaders, with an occasional Den Chief training and the like thrown in. Well attended, with a strong emphasis on using Scouts to teach wherever they can. An excellent program!

I think everyone missed an obvious training for youth, council JLT

we also participate in a a six council commissioner college, pow wow, as well as powder horn. There is also outdoor webelos leader training.

I'd like to take this change topromote Round Table...where the serious stuff takes place (Like Fun , development of group resource, etc)

Training is one thing our council seems to do well. There are now three separate sessions of JLT for the youth. We have a variety of high adventure programs open to adults and youth over 15: backpacking, paddle sports, okpik (winter camping), cycling, and climbing. Wood badge is offered. We have a cub scout pow wow and University of Scouting.