Say A Little Prayer -Please!!

In just under eight hours I'm off to camp to start setting up for NE-IV-153.

What started as a plan in May of last year, is going to happen starting on Friday.

I have to admit to having a few butterflies, but that is a good thing.

The staff are ready,willing and very able.

Maybe I'm not the one to say it, but these guys are good.

It is the most inexperanced staff that I have ever worked with. My first staff experiance there was only three new guys.

We have a staff of twenty. Two have staffed the new course, me being one of the two. We have three who staffed the old courses.

Everyone is telling me that this is great.

Sad thing is that under the new rules you only get one chance as the course director. It would be nice to have one more and work on the things that might need worked on.

The course is full. Just over a third of the participants are female. (25% of the staff are female.) We have a mixed bag from all the programs not counting Varsity Scouts. We do not have any African- Americans or Hispanic participants, in fact I think I'm the nearest we will get to ethnic diversity.

I hope to spend some quiet time and make sure that all the tees are crossed and the I's are dotted.

I will have my laptops, but there is no internet available. I'm to cheap to pay for the wireless cell service.

So please if you are talking to the Big Fellow upstairs do say a little prayer for the course, and I could always do with the odd good word.

Thanks,

Eamonn

Eamonn, Good luck with your course I am sure everything will go great. I'll include you and your course in my prayers. Our course will be starting in two weeks, so I'll need your prayers as well, this year I am the Quartermaster.

Best of luck to you,

John, I used to be a Fox...

Eamonn,

Congrats on directing your course! I just returned this evening from part one of SR-540 at Camp George Thomas in Oklahoma. I can't decide if my head is spinning or if my tired has just caught up to me? A little of both I think. I should be in bed, I really need it. I'm looking forward to part 2 in a few weeks. I'm still working on my ticket, but it is coming together. I hope your staff is doing the bang up job our staff is doing. They are GREAT!!! And that is putting it mildly.

I used to be a beaver......

• 1 month later...

Many Thanks for all your prayers.

NE-IV-153 Ended this past Sunday.

Camp Conestoga, in Somerset Pa.Was where the action took place. A week before the weather conditions were really nasty.

One staff member E-mailed me that he had been at the camp and it was snowing!!

However, the Good Lord smiled upon us and gave us three nice warm Fall days.

It was great we saw the leaves change before our very eyes.

The Staff did an outstanding job.

The participants, a very lively bunch were great.

While I don't want to blow my own kudu horn?

It was a moving experiance to see so many people that are committed to this organization, working together, learning and having fun.

I do firmly believe that Scouting is for our youth members. Still Wood Badge does somehow seem to showcase Scouting at it's best.

At the closing luncheon we had Course Directors from our council going back over 40 years.

They stayed for the final presentations and while they all had to admit that the course was nothing like the old one.

Each and everyone of them said how much they liked the changes.

Maybe it would be nice to do it again and maybe improve a few things.

Still under the rules, I'm only going to get one bite of this cherry. So that will be up to the next Director.

Who knows maybe one day someone will ask me to be a mentor?

My term as Council Training Chair. Comes to an end at the end of this year. So this was me going out with a bang.

Strange thing was that the District Training Chair got called away the day before the course and he asked if I could cover for him doing the New Leader Essentials.

I arrived to find 37 new leaders. Mostly new Cub Scout parents, all keen, eager and ready to face the challenges that Scouting offers.

Hopefully they will be attending a course in the not distant future.

Again Thanks for your kind words, thoughts and prayers.

Eamonn