I went to dinner the other night, with one of the "Old Timers". A real Gent.

He started talking about Training, and said that the best Training that he had taken so far, was Camp School, last year at Hawk Mountain.

What was the best Training Course that you ever attended ?

Wood Badge was pretty good. The staff were well prepared but I think the best training I have attended in the Scout world was Trainer Development Conference.

Now, my list of worst trainings is pretty long but I won't go there!

The best training I ever attended was Basic Leader, the first training session I attended. With no experience in scouting, and starting as my volunteer career as a cubmaster, I was wondering how I would survive.

The trainers put us at ease with their friendly manner and willingness to answer any questions we posed. I left, after only couple of hours, confident that I could do the job and do it well. I don't remember their names, but I'll always be grateful. To all you trainers out there: THANK YOU! You really make a difference!

The Cub Scout day camp course at National Camp School, hands down. Even if I never set foot in day camp, the depth of information on Cub Scout programming was worth the three days. I wish that type of material were offered to the rank and file Cub leaders as an advanced course.

The best training I ever called was one the BSA was piloting called the Coaching Skills Conference. It changed my whole management style for the better. The course was purchased and for a while became Field Director Training. Now it's part of the BSA's professional management level III.

The best program course I ever took was National Camp School for C.O.P.E. Directors. I was sore as all get-out when it was done, but I felt fully comfortable with being a C.O.P.E. Director.

DS

"The best program course I ever took was National Camp School for C.O.P.E. Directors. I was sore as all get-out when it was done, but I felt fully comfortable with being a C.O.P.E. Director. "

You really didn't have to tell me that. I'm going to director school on the 17th. hehehe.

Tim(This message has been edited by tcarter)

My apologies to Tim. It will stil be the best training he's ever attended. What I neglected to mention was that I took the course in the late '80's when C.O.P.E. was new (it was still called Challenging Outdoor Physical Experience) and this was the only week long national camp school syllabus that I know of that was condensed (same material, less time) into a Friday, Saturday, Sunday!

Ouch!

DS

• 1 month later...

By far, the best trainig experience I have had to this date (I'm doing Woodbadge in the fall)was Outdoor Webelos Leader Training. Not to take anything away from the staff on the course, but what made it so memorable were my fellow participants. We got to be 3 Cub Scout Dens for a weekend. As a female, I must say that I was always jealous of my brothers when they would go off on weekends and do scouting stuff. I wanted to be a Boy Scout! (always was a little tomboy) OWL training gave me that opportunity. I went that weekend not expecting to enjoy myself, not sleep well, and miss my son an awful lot. Well, at the end of the weekend, I didn't want to go home! We had formed bonds and friendships that have continued. I don't see these people very often, but I do, we greet each other with our "den cheers". I came home from that weekend feeling rested, refreshed and absolutely on fire for the Scouting program.

I hope that my Woodbadge experience will be a good one, but OWL was such an amazing event that I don't think anything will ever be like that. We just had the right group of participants and staff, the weather was incredible, the food was great and all was right with the world.

Off the beaten track...the best training I've ever been involved with Is chairing a PoW Wow. Lots of work, tons of fun, too bad it was over in just one day.

Best training i've taken is the old Scoutmaster Fundamentals and Scoutmaster outdoors. Developed a great relationship with many of todays SM's, CC and ASM in my district.

Second best: Commissioners College, very insightful stuff was discussed there.

All training is important.

But for me the best was attending OA National Leadership Seminar.

I attended as a youth back in 1982, where they tought you how to be a Lodge Officer.

I recently attended NLS as an adult and they now teach you Leadership Styles that you can use in everyday life.

YIS

Cary P