To award or not to award

We have a weird situation. Some of our new scouts earned some badges at summer camp and then quit. The SM is disinclined to give them their badges because they have "quit". Actually the way I read it they are still registered until next Feb. when we reup so I don't think he can withhold the badges....can he??

True scouting spirit would guide us to give the awards ot the boys. By taking the high road, we set the example that we care, even for those you have left. It sends an important message to that youth that someone cared, no matter whatever reason he/she left. And the old saying of reaping what you sow, sowing the goodwill may bring them back, or at least encourage the ones who stayed by the example.

I don't agree with the others. We have a smaller Troop, and have monthly dues. These dues pay for the awards. When these Scouts stopped coming to the meetings, they no doubt stopped paying their dues (if this is the case). They walked away from Scouting, and I don't think the adult leadership needs to chase these kids (they're no longer Scouts, they quit)and give them their awards.

Now if your Scouts pay an annual fee to the Troop (registration fees, awards, etc.)and does not use monthly or weekly dues, and they are registered until next February, I guess you could call a parent and have them stop by and pick them up.

Again, these kids quit Scouting. They "chose" to leave. Allow them to live with their choices.

sst3rd

I realize that finances can be a problem for a small troop. Believe me, I have been there. However, while these boys were scouts they earned the awards and paid their dues at the time they earned their awards. Give them their due. It is not becoming of any unit to withhold earned awards. We should be looking for opportunities to celebrate acheivement not cut costs and push boys out of scouting forever.

I have talked to adults who remember their troop doing things like that to them thirty years ago and they are still angry about it.

We are in it for the boys.

A friend of my son quit after summer camp last year. After a year, my son talked him into coming back to Scouting. We just had our fall COH (almost canceled because of sniper action) and much to my surprise, my son's friend's name was called. The Adavancement Chair had hung onto this boys merit badges for a year. The kid was tickled pink to get some awards and went home in a very excited state.

Maybe the thing to do is hang onto them in case they do come back. Or if they call and ask for them, tell them they need to come to the COH.

I've pushed to award the boys when they earn the awards. If that is done, the stated situation cannot occur. Immediate recognition! For example, a boy earns his 2nd class rank at a camp-out. Award him (badge) that day and at the next COH we bring him up (with parent(s)) and acknowledge his accomplishment and present to him his card.

The mert badge needs to be awarded (along with any rank advancement). Now, if these scouts have left or quit just send then the merit badge card along with his copy of the blue card then MAIL (invite him to come back to your troop or another troop) these to him.

Many years latter this might make the difference if he is to encourage his son to become a scout.

The dues issue is irrelevent if the scout was current with his dues. If not then there might be a case.

If he earned the awards while a scout with dues current then he has paid for his awards.

You have the addresses of all scouts. A stamp won't break a troop.