What Is The Cost Of The Course, In Your Area ?

In planning the course that our council is hosting later this year,NE-IV-153. I tried to find indoor accommodations, for the first three days.Sad to say we can't manage that.

I went to church camps and colleges, but all were out of our price range. One church camp wanted $75.00 for a camp fire.

So we are holding the first three days at our council camp, using the dining hall and kitchen there.

Even doing it this way, we still have to charge $200.00 per person.

Of course the bad thing is that for the following three days, we are going back to the same place, only the participants are bringing their own tents and for the most part cooking in patrols.

How much did you pay to attend the course ?

If we had not used the council site, we would have been over the $300.00

Any ideas how we could have done this another way?

Thanks.

Eamonn

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our course this spring will be $145. We are using the Council camp facilities. Registration this year is down, for some reason and the course may be cancelled for the lack of 2 more people. This was discussed at the last Council Training Committee mtg. It was also speculated that Cub Scouters are staying away from the new WB21 because of the camping-out requirement.

Mine was $200 for the course, plus the extra socks, activity shirts, and other gear. Then, add on the cost of airfare (had to fly to Japan for it), and other incidentals, and I was pushing $1,000 total. No cost sharing from the troop committee, either...they didn't offer and I didn't ask.

KS

The course fee is $175.00 and includes all meals, lodging and materials. This is just one council over from you (Greater Pittsburgh Council), I believe. Our Wood Badge course is always held at one of our council camps and apparently has been for years.

AdvanceOn:

I'm pleased to say that the relationship between our two councils is really good. In fact I met with both the Course directors, last fall at Camp Alpine, and Mooly, one of this years directors, has worked at Camp Buck Run, our council Cub Scout camp for a good many years.

In fact Camp Twin Echo, where you hold your W/B Training is in our council.

I have heard, but as yet not officially, that due to lack of numbers one of the two courses, will not be held,

We have Penns Woods Council, on our other side, they ran the 2X3 course last year at a cost of $195.00, and lost money.

nldscout:

While I don't have all the numbers close to hand.

Some of the items that drive the cost up are:

$15.00 per person Video usage. This goes to National to cover the copyright for the movies.

$5.00 For the coin.

Approx $25.00 For a couple of T- Shirts and a cap.

$25.00 Approx. The:Beads, Woggle, and Neckerchief.

The participants get a 3 ring folder.

The cost of recruiting is high, due to the high cost of mailings.

There is also the need for some "High tech" Equipment. The Bulb on the projector costs $375.00, with a limited life span, this usage must be charged for, if not come the time to buy a new one, there is no money.

Add in the cost of food, handouts, overhead and new equipment.

The cost of Staffing a Wood Badge is now high, as all the staff pay this is in the Staff Guide. Our Region also requires that the Course Director attend the Conference, which costs $160.00 For a weekend, plus the cost of getting there. Then the staff will more then lightly have to buy at least some new uniform parts.

It's not cheap to be on staff.

Wood Badge socks? (see Korea Scouter)

Coin? (see Eamonn)

My course cost last year was around $170 for the course and we had the options of buying various shirts, photographs, pins, etc.

Materials we received were a hat, neckerchief, woggle (actually material for woggle which we made), notebook & food.

Oh, yes, money well spent.

They aren't WB socks, just BSA socks...I only had one pair and needed more.

A coin? I never got a coin! Or a notebook, for that matter. They may have been council-level enhancements or something.

I do have all the BSA socks I'll ever need, though, and great memories, and a bigger SM tool kit...

KS

The Coin is part of the Course, given to each participant as they leave Gilwell Field, that last time.

The note book is to keep all the handouts in and your notes, which you have made with the pen you got on day one.

I just added up the cost of all the odds and ends that the Guide has in it, without food,handouts etc. I got to $108.00

However, I think that we are, in some ways not doing such a great job, when we run the course at the Council Camp. Unless there is housing for the first 3 days.

It gets really silly on a six day course, when half way through you have to play "Musical Camp Sites" With the participants moving from the Wall tents, in "Their Site" To the new site, where they move into back-packing tents.

I would love to hear from anyone who was at one of the pilot courses. I can see how there was not a problem at Philmont or one of the National sites.