Uniforms and National Camp Schools

I have a few quick questions. A friend and I will be attending COPE Director School at Camp Bob Hardin in Saluda, NC next month. I received my information packet the other day and have a question about uniform requirements.

It says that everyone must have at least two complete field uniforms. I also serve as a unit commissioner and have ONE uniform for that. My friend is only involved with COPE. BSA does not have a uniform for COPE. For obvious reasons, the standard BSA uniform is not used at COPE by staff or participants. We mainly wear BDU pants and Staff t-shirts.

Here are my questions.

- Does he need to come up with a uniform for the school? Why?

- Also, will I need to get a second uniform?

- I have been told that we may only need one for dinner at the dining hall. If that is the case, could I get by with one? Anyone have any insight?

- If I wear my commissioner uniform, will that cause problems for people (staff) at the camp?

Thanks folks.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I have been on staff for National Camp School, and you are in for a great experience.

Camp School is beyond just learning about your specific job at camp. Much of the school will be devoted to showing scouting aims and methods. Because the uniform is one of those methods, there will be times when it will be needed. COPE is part of the program of the Boy Scouts of America, so the uniform for Boy Scouting or Venturing would be appropriate.

Your friend should find a uniform and bring it to the school. As for two uniforms, you may be able to get away with one, but either clean it in the middle or it will get a little gamey by the end of the week. The other issue with only having one is the question of what will you do when camp starts. Going to camp school means that you are a senior member of the camp staff and should be setting the best example possible. I have always had trouble finding time to wash uniforms at camp, so I have two or three to get me though the week.

Have fun at camp school!

RMV

Thanks RMV!

Let me ask this. Are meals the only time I will need one? Meaning, being in COPE school and on the COPE course all day everyday, will I need it any other times than meals?

And, does it matter if we wear long pants or shorts? I prefer long pants (to me it just looks better).

I am looking forward to the trip though.

Tim

Hey Tim,

Most of the time it will be at meals, but also at flag ceremonies, and at the opening and closing campfires. I would show up in uniform as well, then let the instructors set the times you will be needing it after that.

There can be other times, but those are the main ones.

Doesn't matter shorts or long. Although, most camp staff I have been around wear shorts no matter how cold it gets. It also doesn't matter how old the uniform is. Once a uniform, always a uniform.

If your friend is truly not going to need it aferwards, he might be able to borrow one. If buying one, take a look at the venturing uniform, it looks to be something more along the line of what a COPE guy would want to wear. You may want to check with your camp director to see what they think as well. The borrowing might be something to look at in order to have a second uniform.

RMV

Tim,

I went to NCS for COPE in 2000. You are in for a great time. If your friend is just involved with COPE, then he is registered with the BSA. You will also need a uniform for a picture of the COPE trainees. We wore clothes to help us from being bruised (Ha Ha). But did wear the uniform to Breakfast and dinner. Good luck and have a great time.

Dancin

Our registration packet for camp school suggested bringing "a Scout uniform, if you have one -- two if possible." Everyone showed up in uniform and wore it the first day. We were told to wear civies for day two but be back in uniform for graduation on day three.

This was a totally classroom school, so technical clothing wasn't a concern and we were at a retreat center with non-Scouters, so we didn't have the traditional openings and closings with meals.

Twocubdad is I believe, referring to a Cub Scout National Camp School. I directed one of those once. As a director, I would have silently frowned at the one guy not in uniform, but probably wouldn't have said anything. Others would, however.

I also attended National Camp School for COPE. We wore uniforms for meals, flag ceremony, campfire, etc. We trained in "civies." As I recall, I was so sore when I got home I took my sweatshirt off with scissors!

DS

Correct, DS. I was mildly shocked at the low level of uniforming among those attending the course. I'll cut some slack to new leaders who don't yet have a full uniforms. But if you are at a level where you can commit to national camp school and eventually run a major district or council program area, you should be able to make the commitment to a pair of Scout pants.

It was nice that once we got there the staff allowed us to wear civies. Although I had another clean uniform, I suspect most folks didn't.

On the fun side . . .

I took the professional Wood Badge Course offered by the East Central Region in 1992. I took six uniform shirts, three uniform shorts and one pair of long pants. It was well worth pulling the patches off all those shirts to be the only guy with a clean uniform on all the time.

But that was a different deal than Camp School. I digress. My apologies.

DS

While all of you COPE folks are out there, what might a person do to be really prepared and get a lot out of that training? Attending the June session in Knoblick, Missouri

Understand the diagram of your local course, policies, etc Anything else? - and thanks in advance

Just listen to the instructors, take notes during class time and remember, COPE is teaching, if you can't do everything, that's ok, it's how well you teach the participants. When I went to COPE training I couldn't do everything the youngsters could, I was mid 40's. The 21-30 year olds can do everything. Have fun.

Dancin