• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The elements of a WB ticket are unique to each person depending on your personal goals and your role in scouting. It's great that you are going and that you are excited about it, but you will get more out of it if you wait for the course and learn about your ticket as you learn more about yourself.

Have a great time

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob White, is so right. Don't try and rush it.However, one thing that you might want to do is take a long hard look at the Pre-Course Assignment. The Twenty Questions.

No one but you will see the answers, but these are a very important part of what will become your ticket.

The Magic word is YOUR.

On the course there will be a lot of people who can help you on your way, but the end result is Your Ticket.

And guess what? Who is going to work your ticket?

YOU GOT IT, YOU ARE.

Please don't worry or lose sleep about it. Go to the course, have fun,keep your eyes, ears and mind open, and this part of the course will fall into place.

WoodBadge was a blast! The tickets are FUN. The staff will help GUIDE you on your tickets.

Watch out for those Bob Whites. Coming from an island, I thought a Bob White was a mountain cat. Talk about disappointment when I found out I'm a Quail. I was in a GREAT PATROL. Had a blast, willing to go back as Staff this year.

I love Wood Badge! Great for you to attend and even greater the things you'll do for youth with the leadership skills you'll learn.

Here's my story of Wood Badge (page down if you don't want to read it. I'll never know.)

I was sent to a professionals only Wood Badge course, and not because I wanted to go. It was only two weeks prior to getting married, and I had other things on my mind.

It ended up being one of my favorite Scouting experiences. Even though it was all professionals, the syllabus was followed to the letter and it was a great course.

When I left that course, I swore I would never staff a Wood Badge Course. That's a lot of work!

I was really proud 8 months later when a key volunteer from my council hung my beads around my neck -- the same beads that had been presented to my father 20 years before.

Two years after that, my first District Commissioner -- a man I'll never forget -- asked me to be a coach counselor on his staff. I was already the staff advisor, but couldn't ever say no to him. So I did it. Another great experience.

Two years after that, another Course Director from another council called and asked me to be on his staff. I really didn't want to do it, but only because I would have to give up a week of vacation from scouting to do more scouting! But, I said, "Okay, Dad, I'd love to be on your course."

Yet another great experience!

This year will be my first experience with the "new" Wood Badge -- as staff advisor. Everything I saw at the Course Director's Conference makes me think that this syllabus is an even greater experience for Scouts and Scouters.

Could I tell you what your ticket should look like? Yepper! Am I going to? Nope.

I envy you, my friend. You're in for a great experience. Nothing to worry about . . . just get excited.

That's my 3 cents.

DS

You will love the experience of Wood Badge. Just as dsteele said, it's great. I was lucky enough to be on the course that dsteele worked for his dad. It was a GREAT course. I served on staff last summer for Wood Badge for the 21st century. I am going to serve on staff again this summer. Do I mind giving up vacation to do this. NO, the greatest experience of my life. Dsteele, FYI, our mutual friend, JPR, our current council commissioner, is going to be course director in 04.

I used to be a FOX.

Dancinfox

I think this comment needs some clarifaction.

Could I tell you what your ticket should look like? Yepper! Am I going to? Nope.

?!?!?

You will have direct controls over your ticket, to improve your troop, pack, den, district, etc.

No one can tell you what your ticket should be but you! Your troop guide will guide you, but it will be up to you to put the AIMS and Methods into your unit. Your guide cannot see into your unit and what needs to be done, so it will be up to you.

Dsteele

Not casting stones, I think I know what you meant. But you could not really write a ticket for someone that would benefit their unit could you?

I would love to do woodbadge again!!

I used to be a fox.

(This message has been edited by dan)

Troop_358,

I took Woodbadge last fall and asked nearly the same question as you. Having done the course and now in the midst of doing my ticket items, I have to ask the same question. Whats the big idea on not talking about ticket items? No one here would talk about it, it was wait till the class then you will understand. What I understood was the topic of tickets wasnt talked about until midway through saturday afternoon and by the way your 5 ticket items are due at lunch on sunday. Not the best way to plan out the next 18 months or so of my scouting life. I see no reason why the ticket discussion couldnt be done on an evening prior to the first sessions.

Now, having groused about that, I have to say taking Woodbadge was great, I loved almost all of it (except the ticket thing) and the people in the class and the staff have all bonded into one great passle of friends.

I used to be Bear, and a big ol'cranky one to...(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Dear Old Grey Eagle,

We can talk about the Wood Badge Ticket at great length.If you think back to the, Course Over view, that was given on day one after Lunch, it was mentioned. Then again on day one, it was part of Living The Values.

What we need to do is not arrive at the course with a prepared ticket. Hopefully the ticket we do end up with will make use of the new "Tools"and skills that we have picked up at the course.

I do agree that it does seem to be a bit of a rush. But if we have done the ground work at the course, it really ought not be that tough.

In the "Old Wood Badge" the staff had to write a ticket, and now even though it is no longer a requirement,I still do it.I have recommended to my staff, who will serve on NE-IV-153, that they too write a ticket.No one will ever see it unless they want to share it with a participant, or each other.

I too am a Bear, who at times can Bear no more!!

Details of NE-IV-153 be found on the Wood Badge site.

Troop_358: You're receiving good advice here; please don't feel that folks are being deliberately evasive. You will know what YOUR ticket should look like when the time comes, and no one else can do it the justice that you will...

Enjoy your Wood Badge course!

Dan's right. I couldn't write a ticket for someone else and for a unit about which I know nothing.

I didn't see it as casting stones, Dan. My comment was off the cuff and I'm glad you called me on it.

The Wood Badge ticket is, and ought to be, an individual thing. A counselor will be assigned following the course to assist people in completing the items successfully.

DS

OGE I know there was a big discussion about this ticket thing when you asked about it, but I was just wondering why you didn't give troop_358 any insight about the ticket. In my district we usually know when someone is doing a ticket item and anyone I talked to would show me their ticket. I had lots of advice on things I could do by people who knew me and my needs. I don't think it's a big secret I think it is just a personal thing that only you and maybe a few personal scouter friends can advise you on.

I was not looking for ideas to put on MY ticket. I was just wondering what some other people had done for theirs.It does seem that no one wants to share. Why is it that you don't want to tell? I had a friend take the course in '99. She finished in '01 and I know she had a blast. I also know some of the people that will be staffing the course. But again, what is the big secret.I know my ticket will be mine alone, and entail what I want to achieve.I want to learn what other scouters did.