How about going to Philmont Training Center

Ron

If I can get Her That Must Be Obeyed, to go You ought to have no problem.

Jamie, is not a great mixer, but soon she out and about with the other spouses visiting places to eat, and places of interest.

She also got to try her hand at all sorts of crafts.

This is a Lady, who thinks the great outdoors is having lunch at the Four Seasons.

She had a wonderful time.

I think my selling it to her, had a lot to do with all the places that we could visit after, I was done.

First off my wife thinks that except for the Grand canyon this is the prettiest place in the USA. Then as Eamonn says there are the great crafts, pottery, leatherwork, painting, applique,and more. The museums, the wildlife, the other people, the atmoshere, the Villa Philmonte. Plus activities, Horseback riding, hiking, COPE course. My wife enjoys sitting in the shade of the apple trees outside the Villa, while she reads a book and takes nature photos as deer, hummingbirds and other wildlife wander by.

Bob White

I am trying to talk my wife into going to the Training Center next year or the year after (if I can get an invitation). The only current problem is that both she and my daughter are picky eaters when it comes to food prepared for the masses (ie neither will eat cheese or enjoys a lot of the prepared frozen food out there). So my question is what types of food do they serve and how do they serve it?

fboisseau,

While PTC will not get a three star rating from AAA, the food is...well...certainly not poisonous. On a sclae of 1 to 10 I give it a 5 to 8 rating. My 15yr old sitting here says it deserves a better rating. he gives it a 6to 9 scale. Some meals are better than others and it helps to like chicken.

My wife has severe food allergies (no citrus, no dairy)and she does just fine. You will really enjoy Western Night (Tuedsday I think) and on Wednesday (Family Day)you can take the family into town for a meal if you like.

So you won't go away hungry but you won't be looking to book their catering services for your next family reunion.

On the plus side the kitchen staff is always helpful, cheerful and responsive.

You will have a great time.

Bob White

Bob White,

Thanks for the information. I was not too concern about the quality more about the selection. For example do they provide options to aleast the main course if you do not like the primary one and things like that? Also is the meal cafeteria style or family style?

It' cafeteria style and there are usually two main dish choices, lots of sides, almost always salads and fresh fruit, coffee, milk, lemonade.

Like I said you won't go hungry. Your application will have a special form for dietary needs if thats a real concern.

Bob White

I think whoever trains the staff at PTC. Does an outstanding job.

While the food is not as good as mum makes, I didn't go without.

Both Son and wife ate well.

Salad Bar was real nice.

• 2 months later...

Philmont was by far the best vacation my family has ever had. It was my wife, three kids (6,4 and 2) and I. The programs they have for the family are truly excellent. When we started to pack on Thursday my kids wanted to know what I why I was packing, they though we had moved to Philmont. My kids still talk about it and more than once one of my boys tells me how last night they had a dream about Philmont. My wife was skeptical that she would enjoy it, but because of the family programs she was able to relax and not worry about the kids. We grew closer as a family at Philmont.

People mentioned the food, it was OK nothing too terrible or great some meals better than other, maybe not even as good as some scout camps Ive been to, but I didnt go for the food. Every day you have time enough to run into town (if you can really call Cimarron a town) and get something to supplement you diet.

I personally cant recommend it enough; I will try to find a way to go back next year.

John

I used to be a Fox