My troop is venturing into Canada this coming weekend. A father (committee member) would like to give a fireworks display. No fireworks would be transported across borders or stored with any of the troop equipment. No boys would be handling fireworks. I told him I did not think it would be a good idea.

From the Guide to Safe Scouting:

Fireworks secured, used, or displayed in conjunction with program and activities is unauthorized except where the fireworks display is conducted under the auspices of a certified or licensed fireworks control expert.

The selling of fireworks as a fund-raising or money-earning activity by any group acting for or on behalf of members, units, or districts may not be authorized by councils.

We would not be selling or purchasing (with troop funds) any fireworks. We will be on private property (secluded area, near a lake) owned by a member of the troop.

Comments?

P.S. Nobody in the troop is a licensed or certified fireworks expert.

NO!

Besides the huge risk that a boy might be injured at the hands of a "hobbyist" handling explosives rather than a trained and certified professional, there is the financial harm that could befall every adult on that outing should a boy or boys be injured.

The liability umbrella protecting scouters who follow the policies of scouting would disappear, leaving every adult vulnerable to a civil lawsuit that could devastate the family's finances.

Each adult would be responsible for the cost of their own legal defense, and any fines or penalties that resultd from a law suit. In addition, the insurance companies that would provide medical care for the injuried parties, whether the family's insurance company or the scouting insurer, would turn around and sue the leaders to subrogate their loses.

It's not worth the risk to anyone to violate the BSA safety policies.

Bob White

Liability, Liability, Liability. If for no other reason, a risk management approach indicates there is absolutely no gain for the risk taken. This one is like sticking your behind through the fence and hoping the horse won't kick it.

From the information provided, it appears that you won't meet the basic requirements set forth by BSA. Further, check the law for the area of Canada that you will be in:

"Federal regulations prohibit the use of firecrackers and bottle rockets in Canada. Only low-hazard recreational fireworks may be used by the general public and then, only in areas where local bylaws do not prohibit their use."

Why not have the troop do as a group (not during a troop meeting of course, oops another thread) the Space Exploration merit badge, then on your camp out hold a moon light launch, you all get to see streaks of light in the night, the boys finish a merit badge, and its all legal (be sure to follow safety procedures)

Thanks for your input. I knew it was not a good idea (I told him I did not think it would be a good idea.) but I wanted more 'ammunition" and you all provided it. Normally I would have given a firm "no" but we will be staying on private property and it is the owner who wanted to give the fireworks display. Well intentioned yes, but not a good idea. Again, thanks.

This comes up more often than it should, as do other activities that are perfectly okay when done as a family, but not permitted as Troop activities by BSA policy, such as go-kart riding or paintball.

It should be obvious to anyone reading the GTSS that the BSA intent is to allow a Troop to attend a public fireworks show such as the type that a city will put on for Independence Day, by a licensed/insured company, with safe distances, fire prevention, etc., all factored into the planning. The "dad in the backyard" launch-a-coffee-can-with-an-M80 type activity is definitely out.

Sometimes it takes constant but gentle reminders...

KS

Wait! I agree with everyone else's statements, but....

acco40 states in later posts that the event will be on private property and the person shooting the fireworks is the owner of the land. While still not a good idea, as long as the owner wants to shoot the fireworks on his land and it is away from the troop and the owner is not part of the leadership, I don't know that anyone could tell him no. Acco40, tell me if I got the scenario right.

Actually kxc57, the BSA does not care who owns the property. It is the type of activity and the qualifications of the person handling the explosives that they are regulating. Since it involves a scouting event the BSA can set whatever restrictions they choose. they are not telling the land owner what they can do on their property, they are telling the scout leadewrs what they can and cannot do with the scouts.

BW

Bob,

I understand that. My point is that if the guy has 40 acres and he shoots them 20 or 30 acres away from the scouts on his own, does that mean the scout leadership should cancel the trip if they knew he was going to do it? They would not be taking part in the fireworks display or even be close to it. It would only be visible to them from a distance.