• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, Firstpusk, did you get me confused. A tour permit needed for online training??? Then I read the link and realized that your answer had nothing to do with Sctmom's question. Unless I missed something. :)

Sctmom, it would be great if YP training were available online. I have no information on it one way or another. However, it seems unlikely to me. Coincidentally, yesterday I attended our council's University of Scouting and one of the sessions I attended was Youth Protection Facilitator Training. Now I can run YP training sessions for people in our pack, or if I really get ambitious I can run some courses for the council. The point is, with this reminder of what the course consists of, I don't see how it could really be delivered online. The video is 1 hour and 9 minutes long, and you are supposed to break twice during the tape for discussion and deal with questions at the end. There is supposed to be a pre-quiz, the facilitator is supposed to give the cards to those who have completed the course, and you collect the evaluations.

I would be curious to see how all that would be handled online. And if YP were done online, are other courses like New Leader Essentials or Leader Specific Training next? I just don't see the BSA moving in this direction. Fast Start is online but that's different because the "regular" Fast Start is just a video you can watch on your own anyway.

• 1 month later...

SctMom - your council newsletter is consistent with information our council has also recieved from national ... As I understand it two things are scheduled to happen January 1:

1 - The new local tour permit will be required. In the small print on the back side is a statement that one adult on the trip must be YPT certified.

2 - National will release an on-line version of Youth Protection Training.

#1 is a reality - simply look at the Local Tour permit form available for download from national. #2 is questionable, I don't doubt it will happen but our council has not been able to acertain when it will be availabe, so, we are actively promoting & conducting the video training

• 1 month later...

I was at Trainer Development Conference yesterday, a very good course lot of info in a one day course.

It was stated that some training will be on line this year. It sounded like it would be the Basic courses, New Leader Essentials, Cub Leader Specific, Boy Scout Leader Specific, Youth Protection.

From my councils website:

http://www.lastfrontiercouncil.org/ypt_tour2003.htm

Effective January 1, 2003, the Boy Scouts of America local tour permit includes a requirement that at least one adult present during the event or activity must have completed the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) Youth Protection Training.

The Boy Scouts of America national tour permit will continue to include the requirement that all registered adults must have completed the Boy Scoutsof America (BSA) Youth Protection Training for participation in a nationally sponsored event/activity.

In support of our continued efforts to offer training to as many Scouters as possible, and to support the requirement of having at least one youth protection trained adult, an internet version of youth protection training for leaders is being developed and will also be available for use in February of 2003.

• 3 weeks later...

Online training is a reality! YP training is now up and running at the National web site. It MUST be accessed via a link from a local council web site. At the conclusion of the training, the trainee takes a test, and then his/her information is sent to the council for update of training records. The link in the previous post will get you one council's link. Another is http://www.cvcboyscouts.org and then select "training". If your council doesn't have this capability, start bugging them!

Yes. It goes into effect Jan 1 and requires tour permits to have at least one person currently certified in Youth Protection. Our "local district" went through the traing at the round table.

being trained on line for youth proection is a bad idea.

btps

Hard time dealing with change?

To throw a comment out like that with no reason why is just silly (not the word I really wanted to use).

Have you gone through the on line training? If you have tell us what you think it is missing, if you have not gone through it, I do not beleive you have a reason to comment.

The Scouts that we are trying to protect require that we can deal with people. They can give us blank looks at meeting but that is more than a cumpter screen can give us.

Would you take a first aid course online??? Lifesaving???

I went through the online course yesterday. Was just as informative as in person during Basic Training.

Just because someone is physically in front of you does not guarentee they learned any better. I don't think anyone is wanting this online so that we can avoid dealing with people but it is there to make sure the word gets out to more people.

First Aid and Lifesaving training usually involve some hands on activity. YP doesn't involved hands on activity (no puns intended).

I took the on line training yesterday also. After having presented the live and in person training 26 times in the last 12 months I do not detect any missing information. There is one answer I do not care for as far as the wording and I will wwrite national to suggest a correction. Other than that I thought it was excellent and I'm lighting fires under some local feet to get it available through our Council's web-site.

Bob White