Committee training and job of the committee?

Ok, I can't run over to the council office - it's 50 mile away and we have a comittee meeting tomorrow night - so HELP!

Our troop committe is going way overboard ( I think ) on making decisions for our troop. WE are trying to get back to boy-leadership after a SM that "did it MY way" and a group of younger boys who do not have older boys to teach them the proper "patrol method" etc. They are doing great with getting back into the program - but the adults all have different ideas and aren't willing to "let go"

our PLC came up with a plan of events for the upcoming year. Granted - many were uninspired repeats of prior activities, but they ARE learning and trying. Some are hand's down annual favorites - like caving.

So what did the Committee do in Aug? approved only Sept and the district camporee this weekend, and left everything else hanging. At an non- regular committee meeting 2 weeks ago, they finally approved the rest of the year, Chose all the dates for activities, but took out some activities (like caving), and put in their own, totally unsolicited by the boys.

Now I could see suggesting another cave - instead of repeating the same trip (4th yr now) but do they have the power to totally toss the boys wants? The boys just found out about it this weekend and they are all REALLY upset! Caving in the fall is something they all look forward to.

ARe there any online resources, or a "committee handbook" or something someone could refer me to, to give me some backup at the meeting tomorrow night?

I've been through my committee training packet - but to be honest - there's not much there - mostly a description of jobs - advancement, comm chair, activities (that's me)etc. Nothing on the job of the committee as a whole.

Or is that it? the committee IS those jobs and no more?

Please, any usefull links, online training, or email id you have documentation you can e-mail me, would be helpful!

pls e-mail to

tlaurat7@hotmail.com

Thanks!

There is a committee handbook. As I sit here I don't know the publication number. You might be able to download a copy off of the BSA National website.

The committee has the authority to change the program the boys want, but the committee should not be ignoring the boys' preferences as you describe.

The manual you are refering to is the Troop Committee Guide. In it you will find that it specifically states that the committee cannot change the program determined by the boys. The committee can make recommondations for the PLC to consider but it states emphatically that the program decision rests with the PLC.

Troop Committee Challenge, a three-hour training course for troop committees will reinforce that part of the manual as well.

Bob White

The BSA HAS A REALLY COOL TRAINING FOR THE TROOP COMMITTEE, IT IS AS HAS BEEN STATED A 3 HOUR TRAINING. THERE IS A KIT WITH NEWSPAPER CLIPS, A PUZZLE AND A BOOK TITLED

TROOP COMMITTEE TRAINING SYLLABUS (ISBN O-8395-3643-7)1999 EDITION. WE GOT OURS LAST YEAR AND I'M UNSURE IF IT HAS BEEN UPDATED.

AS A COUNCIL TRAINING CHAIRMAN, I HAVE PASSED THE JOB OF PRESENTING THIS TRAINING TO OUR DISTRICT BOY SCOUT TRAINING CHAIRMAN.

AS FOR THE TROOP COMMITTEE CHANGING THE PLC, PLAN, IN MY BOOK THAT IS NOT THE BEST IDEA THAT THEY EVER HAD !