Was wondering how many WB'ers have a WB cup. In our council we use the maple colored plastic mess-hall cups that can be engraved with patrol's totem, Scouter's name and course number. Woodbadge patrols acquire one cup per member and then hopefully someone has a Dremel and performs the engraving. Engraved lines are highlighted with ink. Is this a national trend or just an East coast thing?

L-Owl

We had one of those metal thermal mugs with our course patch design on it. SR-389. It was OK but tends to get liquid in the hollow part when washed, but who washes them? I just rinse mine out. :). I don't use mine because of that and like to use one of the plastic type. They are lighter and cheaper.

Doug

We got plastic mugs with axe and log on it with course number. We also got pens with Wood Badge and course number on them. We were able to buy shirts and hats. Shirts had Axe and Log and hats had the 21st Century logo on them, with Wood Badge just above and course number on right side. Staff had Staff on left side. Instead of a coin, everyone got a patch of the new logo. Real neat.

dancin

Our Council uses the mess hall type cups and everyone uses a dremel to put their totem on the cup along with anything else they deem appropriate. I have my totem and SR-438 on the cup. I carry it proudly and it hasn't been washed yet, just rinsed.

• 1 month later...

Same here, Maple colored mess-hall style cup, with Fox-oriented art on it. I've had a lot of "spare time" to work on it, it sits beside our patrol mascot on my desk (a 6 inch tall red fox). Can still see coffee stains...never seen the insides of a dishwasher, never will :)

• 3 years later...

At our course we got t-shirts & baseball cap. On the last day then the local guy who sells WB memorabilia came in with the cups and other things and you could buy them if you wanted..which I did. Then it was up to the individual to do their own adornment...the "contest" was more of who could come up with a quick macrame belt hanger for it before we left the course site! At home then I hand drew my totem then used the dremel and colored it with a sharpie! Occasionally I'll go over it again when it wears off a bit.

Speaking of memorabilia...has anyone else seen or gotten the new WB critter stave/staff toppers??? They just came in locally the first of March. They're resin and you attach them by means of a double sided screw. Anyway..they're $10 here and available at our local trading post!!

sue m.

Troop 1 Neckerchief? Check.

handmade woggle? Check

Owl Patrol Cap? Check (each patrol got its own cap).

Leather name badge? Check.

Class B T-shirts? Check.

Cup? We got this cheap thermal cup wannabe, which the cup itself could be removed so we could draw our patrol emblem on it.

It didn't last the trip home from the course before breaking.

OTOH, I still have the thermal cup from my first backpacking trip in 1969.

John

A Good Old Owl Too

C-40-05

Last yr we had coffee mugs with course #.

This yr we had plastic thermal mugs w/lids that had course logo (axe and log and beads and course number). Same logo was used on hats and T shirts.

Sandy

ASM Fac SR743

Used to be a bear SR517

Lippoeowl -

Great question. I always thought the cup you described was a nationwide tradition. Apparently it is not. I remember my dad and other scouters with their woodbadge cup and I couldn't wait to have my own. Now I do.

I used to be an antelope!

The course I attended had coffee mugs with a beautiful drawing by one of my close Scoutmaster friends. The course I served on had t-shirts and totes with the course number on the WB emblem. Next two courses had different types of jackets.

Depending on the Scoutmaster you may have plastic or ceramic cups on our courses. Last year we had maroon ceramic cups with Wood Badge, a set of beads, the quote "It's all about Leaderhip", and our course number WE1-611-05. I sit drinking my coffee from it as I type. I was one of the lucky ones to be on staff and recieve two so the other cup is on display while I use this one as a come on to get people to ask me what my cup says then I tell them all about Wood Badge, not that I wouldn't anyway.

In my area, the standard seems to be:

* course t-shirt

* course hat

* course ceramic mug

* course coin [instead of the generic WB coin at the end]

(participants get the participant neckerchief, make their own neckerchief from cords, leather nametag)

Many course directors will make up a staff ceramic mug to give to all the staff. On my course, the course director signed the bottom with his totem.

There are also usually totem gift items during the courses from patrols and some staffers.