Committe purpose and training?

Ok, I can't run over to the council office - it's 50 miles away and we have a comittee meeting tomorrow night - so HELP!

Our troop committe is going way overboard ( I think ) on making decisions for our troop. We are trying to get back to boy-leadership after a SM that "did it MY way" and a group of younger boys who do not have older boys to teach them the proper "patrol method" etc. They are doing great with getting back into the program - but the adults all have different ideas and aren't willing to "let go"

our PLC came up with a plan of events for the upcoming year. Granted - many were uninspired repeats of prior activities, but they ARE learning and trying. Some are hand's down annual favorites - like caving.

So what did the Committee do in Aug? approved only Sept and the district camporee this weekend, and left everything else hanging. At a non- regular committee meeting 2 weeks ago, they finally approved the rest of the year, Chose all the dates for activities, but took out some activities (like caving), and put in their own, totally unsolicited by the boys.

Now I could see suggesting another cave - instead of repeating the same trip (4th yr now) but do they have the power to totally toss the boys wants? The boys just found out about it this weekend and they are all REALLY upset! Caving in the fall is something they all look forward to.

ARe there any online resources, or a "committee handbook" or something someone could refer me to, to give me some backup at the meeting tomorrow night?

I've been through my committee training packet - but to be honest - there's not much there - mostly a description of jobs - advancement, comm chair, activities (that's me)etc. Nothing on the job of the committee as a whole.

Or is that it? the committee IS those jobs and no more?

Please, any usefull links, online training, or email if you have documentation you can e-mail me, would be helpful!

pls e-mail to

tlaurat7@hotmail.com

Thanks!

LauraT7, Iam not a greatly trained leader, just one who believes in scouting and doing the best I can. With that said, a troop commitee does not run the troop!! They are there to support the boys and try to ensure that the resources are available to make what the activity is happens.

The troop that I am involved with has a annual meeting of the leaders to try to put a program together for the upcoming year. This includes the input of the boys and the PLC. We try to incorporate as much as possible into the program with the resources we have available.

Is your TC made up of active scout leaders and parents, or primarily parents who are not active troop leaders? There is a diffence.

To deny the boys their wishes for a program on a whim or whatever is wrong!!! We as adults are responsible for intitiating a program that enhances the scouting experience.

We recently had adults who were Troop Commitee Member trained that came to the TC meeting telling us that they were told the TC ran the troop. News to me. The boys run the troop, we as adults make sure it is as safe as possible and they don't burn the forest down.

Good luck and keep us posted.

YIS

A new resource has come out, "Troop Committee Challenge", No. 33643. This has a game setting to teach your troop commitee all the jobs and how to operate. This also considered basic training for troop committees.

The committee's main function is to support the program that the PLC creates, handling things the Scouts cannot. This includes fianaces, transportation, equipment, proper paperwork filled out, administer the advancement plan. The Scoutmaster insures the program that the PLC develops is carried out to it's full extent, advised the PLC on health and safety issues, and guide them in the Scouting experience.

I took the "troop committe challenge" in March 2001 -

but my book is a little skimpy - more of an outline. It is not the "committee handbook" I think I gotta get one of those.

But that's what I thought - the the committee is supposed to support the troop's decisions - not decide FOR them.

Granted, our boys have not had older boys or adults to teach them how to plan and their "program" is simply repitition of prior years' - but that's where the scoutmaster is supposed to gently prod them into trying new things, guide them at the PLC? But our scoutmasters don't go to PLC - we have committee meeting on the 1st Mon of the month, WHILE the PLC meets. Then the boys come in and join us, to present their ideas, etc.

Their decisions should be given to the committe by the SM or the SPL, shouldn't they?