Another good reason to get training!

• 3 weeks later...

We have a 3 ring binder that stays with the troop at all times - in the meeting house or on a trip - even trips to the city park (we meet there in the summer).

We call it the "Trip essentials" book

Each person in the troop has a clear page protector in it with the medical forms of all the adults and boys, with copies already made that we can give to camps and emergency people without giving up the originals. Each pocket also contains any info that we might need on a particular boy - a list of family phone numbers, relatives, work numbers, etc.

it also had permission slips with "that weekend" numbers as mentioned above by the GS leader,

Copies of the registration and ownership of all the troop vehicles ( bus & trailers)

tour permits, Guide to safe scouting,

itinerary, maps, registration info, receipts, contacts and any information needed for the trip

maintaining this book is part of my job as activities coordinator for the troop - but it has made things SO much easier for eash trip. no worries about who has what, where? its ALL there! And only a small part has to be updated for each trip.

LauraT7

The book you talk about is the same thing we've done for a few years now. It does work well except for one occasion: Crossing the border into Canada. We had a line of 11 cars going through the checkpoint. The first car in line gave the book to the Canadian customs person, who spent the rest of our time complaining to every driver in our group how tough we made her job by having everything in one book. They are responsible for verifying that children aren't being taken to Canada by ex spouses, and such, and they had to see every boy and their permission slip at the same time. We got through without any serious problem, but we learned a lesson. Any time we are going to Canada, we will either pass the pages of the book out to each car, or create another group of copies for each vehicle.

Our Committe Chair is responsible for keeping this book up to date, and gives it to whatever adult is in charge of an event. I have tried to come up with a way to justify that this should be the Scribe's job, but there is too much confidential information in it to allow a boy to handle it. I'd like to figure out a way to use this concept but to make it the responsiblity of the Scribe. Maybe just seperate the permission slips and make him responsible for those, and helping check in at camp. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear.

Mark