In Scouts de Mexico (Our national organization recognized by WOSM) Wood Badge is a course of 6 moths, with other 6 moths of post evaluation. After certification scouters can continue wiht next step called "continue formation" with many small badges to get.

We had changed word "training" to "formation" (in spanish meaning is development, growing, etc). In Spanish the meaning to training is so limitated to development of manual skills, thats the mean reason to this change, but many scouters are disagree.

Our wood badge course are oriented to this themes: Plan, Scout Program, Scout Principles, B.Ps Life and Work, Scout Method, Educative Proyect, Unit Management, etc.

How is Wood badge course in BSA?

While at Philmont training center this year there was a lot of conversation among the leaders about changing trining to Leadership Development. I realize that it is only a cosmetic change, but the specific words we use make a difference in the meaning we convey.

Many leaders after attending the minimum training point to a trained strip and feel the no longer neeed to learn about leadership because they are "trained". many have not attended traing in decades.

Leadership Development could help adults to realize that being a good leader is a continuous process. Knowledge and skills are journeys not final destinations.

Bob White

Bob, I may be imagining this, but it seems to me that the BSA may already have gone through one phrase of calling "training" "development," at least to some extent. If I recall correctly, when I took what is now called JLT, it was "TLD": "Troop Leader Development." This would have been in 1973, when many changes in terminology had just been made, as you know. Whether the adult training programs had their names changed also, I don't know.

When I get home I will check my old uniform, which I am pretty sure has the "TLD" patch on it. I remember that when my father did WoodBadge a couple of years after I did "TLD," we compared notes and much of the course material was similar, the same terminology for the "competencies," etc.

The only hangup that I can see in calling training "development" again would be that "development" has come into vogue among many universities and colleges, and possibly also non-profit organizations in general, as a euphemism for "fund-raising."

Raul,

The USA introduced a new Wood Badge format this year called Wood Badge for the 21st Century. It is for all adult volunteers in all the programs and at all levels of the Boy Scouts of America. The instruction lasts over 2 full weekends, and focuses primarily on leadership skills. during the course the participants develop a set of personal goals called a "ticket".

Follow the completion of the two weekends the participants enter an 18-month application phase. During this time they must practice the skills they learned and complete the goals they set for themselves. A staff memeber is assigned to each applicant as a mentor to be a resource for them as they work on their ticket, and to eveluate there progress.

I took my Wood Badge under previous program formats, and although I was a contributing writer to this course I have not seen it function in its completed format. There are a number of posters on this board who have participated this year and I'm sure they will fill you in on the specific kinds of things they learned.

Your friend in scouting,

Bob White

Raul,

If a participant wants to send you copies of anything they have that is OK. But the trainers syllabus is one of the few, if not the only, syllabus that is copyrighted by the BSA. Not even the faculty gets to keep a trainers manual once the course is over. No copies of the manual are allowed to be made.

Sorry,

Bob White

Bob, thanks for your message, but I only want to know more about your Training Programm. It`s for me very interesting all that you said about. In Mexico we have our scheme but I would like to know how is US scheme to make some benchmarking. Can you tell me more about the themes, the time-line, and other things?

Yours in scouting

• 4 weeks later...

Estimado Raul,

I thought you might be interested in this. I am on staff as Assistant Course Director for a Wood Badge Course in Los Angeles. I am a Unit Commisioner that works with 32 Spanish Speaking Units in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area. We have recruited a lot with the Spanish speaking Scout leaders. We have about %60 of the particpants are Latinos. Some of them speak perfect English and some strugle a little. We the staff have been trying to translate as much as possible into Spanish. We are hoping to have an all Spanish Wood Badge in two years.

I would be interested in seeing any Wood Badge Material from Mexico you can send me.

johnsned@mail.com