I'm going to serve as my younger son's Webelos Leader starting next summer. I want to take this course, because it is exactly what I need.

OUTDOOR WEBELOS LEADER TRAINING (OWL)

For all Webelos Leaders and soon to be Leaders. OWL is training to help Webelos Leaders learn the skills necessary to successfully implement the Webelos program. The leader will learn such skills as Fire Building, Outdoor Cooking, Knots, etc.

But, a council professional told me OWL was discontinued and suggested I take Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO). I took BALOO last spring and it was nothing like the course described above. What do you suggest? And, does anyone have their old OWL syllabus that I could pay for a copy?

By the way, I though BALOO was a very good course, but it's purpose is to train a pack leader so that a pack may go camping at non-BSA sites, not train how to teach outdoors Webelos skills needed to earn their badges.(This message has been edited by CubsRgr8)

The course is called Webelos Leader Outdoor training(WLOT). The course is a two day one day affair. BALOO (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Training) is a one day session. WLOT is still offered - I am quartermaster for our District's session in September. I've also been on BALOO staff. You need to take WLOT in addition to the Webleos Leader Job Specific Training since you are moving up. Good luck Webelos are a blast.

Paul

As an addendum to what ScouterPaul wrote. The webelos Leader Outdoor training has been rewritten. It has been field tested in the last few months and a new syllabus should be available soon. I am told it will run along side the new Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills training taken by SM and ASMs. They will share some instructional classes and have some separately.

I have not gotten a release date yet other than soon.

Bob White