unit commissioner / COR -

Bob,

The Charter Org. Executive is not a registered positon in the BSA...? Do you mean the Chartered Organization IH? (institutional head) If that is what you mean, you are out of your mind. Not only is the IH a registered member of BSA, that person, (IH) sits on the Council with full voting rights! Something no volunteer, of any position held can do. That's pretty registered don't you think?

ASM1

ASM1

I think you are refering the the Charter Organization Representative. The Institutional Head is not a registered member unless they take another role in the unit, district or council and complete an adult application. the COR is required to fill out an application and become a regstered member of the BSA, the Institution Head is not, they are the executive officer of the organization, the COR is the BSA voting member.

To say I'm "out of my mind" is a little over the top don't you think?

Bob White

The term, "out of your mind" was meant in passing, a phrase. Do I think you are out of your mind? Of course not.

I was not thinking of the COR. I was wondering what you were referring to as COE (Chartered Organization Executive). A COR, (Chartered Organization Representative) is just that, a representative of the organization that "owns" the unit, be it a Cub Pack, Troop, or Crew.

The IH, (Institutional Head) is an officer of the "owning" organization and he/she must give permission (blessings) of the organization to "own" the unit/s. The organization must appoint an IH to represent them in the Council and sit on that Council Board. The organization must also appoint a COR to represent them to the unit, as a committee member of that unit.

As the President of a company that has Chartered a Troop and a Crew, I had to appoint an IH to sit on our Council Board, and also appoint a COR to represent my company in the Troop committee. As Scoutmaster, I could not hold any of those positions. (maybe I could, but I thought it would cause a conflict)

A lot of this was totally unknown to me when we decided to charter our own units. Our DE sat us down and presented us with the rules from National Council that we had to follow. I know that sometimes these rules are vague, but meant to be that way to others not affiliated with a chartering organization. The Charter Organization "owns" the unit/s therefore must be aware of the laws governing the control of a charitable organization. Especially if the charter organization is NOT a non-profit organization in itself. Tricky stuff.

ASM1

Follow up. There is no reason for the IH to hold any position in the unit, either committee or leader. The COR is already there to represent the organization. The IH represents the organization to Council. That is why the COR, and IH are two different positions. And the IH is most certainly a registered member of BSA. Has to be to sit on the Council Board.

ASM1

Ok -

going back to my original post -

COR being involved in the troop /committee is great - never had a problem with that.

It's just that in the leadership problems we've had with our troop, many on the board have suggested getting the district commisioner involved - and guess what? She's already there! Because she IS both our COR AND our troop's Unit commissioner.

or am I confused? is the unit commissioner and District commissioner the same thing?

And while she IS a help, I dunno - I guess I was hoping for an extra voice to promote Boy lead programming. It's an uphill battle.

LauraT7,

Well, perhaps you should look at this situation with an open mind. Why don't you, yourself get involved with District and become more involved with BSA outside of your own unit. I have not read anything bad so far about this person holding these positions.

Maybe she is observing a broader scope of scouting than you are. Is it possible that you are only seeing scouting as your unit?

Scouting is fun for our youth and an adventure, but it also the same for the adults who choose to become involved in the movement. It is designed that way.

Good luck with your quest

ASM1

The unit commissioner and District Commissioner are totally different although they are both part of commissioner service the District Commissioner is the head of commissioning in the district including Unit Commissioners, Assistant District Commissioners, Rounttable Commissioners, and Huddle Commissioners. The DC is a member of the Key-3. The Key-3 is an executive committee of the District made of the District Professional, The District Chairman and the District Commissioner. They set the District goals and administrate all aspects of district service.

ASM 1

In order to continue the discussion on the role of the IH and the COR I have started a new thread.

Bob White