Growing up in the Chicago Suburbs in the 60's my heroes were predictable, Butkus, and Sayers. As time went on other names have been added to the list, Fencik and Payton amoung others.

When I signed in at Wood Badge, I was hoping to be an Eagle, but I found out that I shall forever be a Bear, and an good ol' bear at that. I guess I should have known all the time. My Official NFL bears towel is our interim banner until a "real" flag may be made. Fate sure is strange.

I know a lot of us are taking Wood Badge at this time. Anyone want to share anything?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a FOX.

The 1st weekend was more than I had hoped for! I belive that I may have gotten a little more insight into what a scout is going through. Sitting at a picnic table trying to put together a rough draft of my ticket, thinking I do not really want to do this i want to go talk to other scouters and solicalize, I thought back to summer camp and the scouts working on merit badges, , than I thought that that is what most boys are thinking while they are going some kind of paperwork for a merit badge!

Now I have to go work my ticket!

I thought I wanted to be a bob white, just because I am 6'4" and 230 lbs. But now I have to say a Fox is better :)

Fox Don

Another Bear? Our "cheer" is ::head straight:: Oh! ::head turned to the right and down:: Bother!

Our Song?

Bear down, Da Minsi Bears

Make every day a step to victory

We will never forget Gilwell Park and its history

We will never forget our fascination

With coping with all the information

Let them know you are wearing the crown

Our pride and joy though others we annoy

Da Minsi Bears, Bear Down!!!

Congrats OGE

I guess being a bear is okay - our patrol was kinda small so everybody got a title...we had a Legal Eagle (lawyer), a Nesting Eagle (the guy had 12 kids!, Golden Eagle (banker), an me as a Lone Eagle (the course was in California, a little over 3,000 miles from my home council).

OGE

Welcome to the Bear Family. It was my wish for you to be a Bear. Nothing like being at the top of the food chain. Our yell was "WE EAT, WE MATE, WE HIBERNATE" with motions to go along with it. We have to be very careful where we do it. :) Say hello to your bear buddies for me.

Doug

I have finished my ticket and waiting on the ceremony.

Proud Beaver. "if it aint for the boys....it's not worth a dam" Had to bredk family tradition my dad and one brother were both bears. When I took WB our patrol was used as the first one to do new things, consequently we set a record for not doing this right. Oh, well. We did write a story of our last night out with hike that is used as an example of how to do it. Never did get a sound out of the horn.

from my earlier post: ...a bear arrives and thinks that it is the king of beasts. Well, you are cute, cuddly and even have pretty ribbons around your necks. Top of the food chain? You envy the beaver's tail. You are too big to hide, sneak, or even leave no trace. With an overhead view, I can only say that you wish you could soar. So the games begin.

Man! I have got to get some training - I'm missing all the fun!

All y'all's web-names are finally beginning to make sense. Here I thought a double-eagle was a $20 gold piece!

(Actually, I'm bound for training at the end of the month. Fingers crossed, and I pray they don't cancel out on me again, or I AM going to another council...)

rlculver415, welcome to the circle of life where eagles rule. When you are finally exposed as the critter you deserve, probably an eagle, you will contemplate why you were selected as... To be honest you will be what you have inside you. Fox, maybe, are you good looking? Sly, cunning, or skittish and afraid of other predators? Bears, well we all have our ideas how a bear acts. One of the biggest but not known for its intelligence. How hard is it to figure out a bear bag rope. Buffalo, tastes like chicken but too big to leave no trace. Bob whites taste like chicken too. Owls, like them, they are the eagles of the night. Beavers, like them too, they flood areas so eagles can get fast food, McTrout. Antelope, they bounce instead of running across the prairie. They have horns, not antlers, so they can arrange their tumble weeds all year round.

So the critters start to dress for battle and for some reason can't reach up to the level of an eagle. (whatcha got critters?)

Seriously: The whole wood badge thing is great and the program is excellent. Good luck and work your ticket. The critter fight is just part of the fun. Oh, $20? that's it. well, its better than the canadian nickel with a beaver on it. Gotcha beavers.(This message has been edited by Double Eagle)

as mentioned above, sometimes your critter chooses you. There's no insurance about staying the same. Sometimes as staff you are transformed into a mess. Okay, you were an old grey eagle scout and were seen as a bear. You are a Beagle. If you are a beaver and your spouse is an owl, you will have bowls (pronounced: bowels) as children. Buffalo and bob whites. White buffalos of course. How about a bear and a fox, either boxes or fears. Antelope and owls, Owlopes. You pick. Interesting ain't it. The bears and buffalos may need pictures drawn to understand what I'm talking about.

I have accepted I am a bear with the Eagle rank.

I do have to admit that the sight of a soaring bald eagle gives one pause to reflect on the beauty of nature. But then, you must ask, why does the Eagle soar? Why does the Eagle fly? Cause its to chicken to stay and fight it out with the bear, the king of the forest!