Does anybody know if a Wood Badge ticket solely focused on Venturing would be acceptable? I know Powder Horn exists, and I see that as one of the goals I would have.

Everything I read about Wood Badge is Boy Scout oriented, but is that because it hasnt been updated to include Ventures or have they been excluded/not included for some reason?

I don't know what your sources are but Wood Badge for the 21st Century is designed to be relevant for all adult leaders in Scouting, regardless of the program in which they work and regardless of whether they work at a unit, district, council or national level.

(Source: Wood Badge for the 21st Century - Staff Guide: The Syllabus, Forward, pp. iii-iv.)

If your job as a Scouter is with a Venture Crew, not only can Venturing be the focus of your Wood Badge ticket, it should be!

(Source: Wood Badge for the 21st Century - Staff Guide: The Syllabus, Forward, pp. 67-69.)

Welcome dbraxtonw,

He is right on the money OGE.

The only prerequisite is that you have completed the basic training for your position. As a Venture leader that would include:

1 Venture Fast Start

2 New Leader Essentials

3 Venture Leader Specific Training

There is no longer a minimum tenure in office required before attending Wood Badge.

Bob

Your ticket is based on your primary BSA registration. I was just at my 30-day meeting today and that was one of the discussions. For example, I am an Assistant District Commissioner so my ticket will be for that position. We had cub masters, scoutmasters, committee members, and Venturing Crew Scouters (sorry, I don't know the terminology for them) at this meeting. Each of us will develop our tickets based on our position.

Hey, how many of you "old" Wood Badgers had to remove all your troop/position insignia and wear shorts for your course? My husband was in the old course and is going to COMPLAIN about how easy I have it since I don't have to remove all my insignia, nor do I have to wear shorts!

I'm really psyched about going to Wood Badge!

I must have outdated sources which is why I came to you guys. Our Council appears to have a hard time grasping the concept of Venturing. But now I have the references I need to fight any "you cant do that" attitudes I find.

Thanks to all

Having completed the intial phase of my Wood Badge course and have started working my ticket I can definitely say that all aspects of Scouting is covered. We started out as Cub Scouts the first day then crossed over to Boy Scouts. We were inducted as Venturers during the second (outdoor) weekend. One of the really cool things during the second weekend was the use of actual Venture Scouts as instructors. Each patrol was assigned a Venturer as a resourse person. Out of the 8 (coed) Ventureres there were 5 Eagle Scouts and one young lady who had earned the Ranger Award.

Paul

Owl Patrol

SR - 438