What was the best thing you learned from Wood Badge?

Bob White

Are you a Bobwhite? I used to be an Owl.......

I've only been through the first weekend of training. I'll let you know when I finish with the second. So far I would have to say that understanding how teams behave and why.

Yes, I used to be a Bob White and a good 'ol Bob White to...

I would love to hear your evaluation. I was fortunate enough to be one of the contributing authors to the new Wood Badge. I hope you find it to be a mountain top experience.

Bob

I'm a talon you, I'm an Eagle!

The best thing .... hmmm .....

I loved the whole experience! The best thing was finding what each patrol member's strength was & using it to make our patrol better.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

I used to be an Eagle ....................

• 2 weeks later...

I was a Bear in the last woodbadge of our council to use the old syllabus. I did not know what to expect when I got there. I thought it would be a bunch of lectures on leadership and the like.

I loved the way we had to function as a unit. My son's troop did not really understand the patrol method. I saw an ideal of how it was to work. That was better than all the lecture and study I could have done. It did forge a bond amoung our patrol. Our leaders did a good job of mixing the different personalities and talants amoung our group.

I thought it was seer brilliance to put us under the time pressures we had, to teach us how to empathise with the boys who are dealing with a bunch of jobs and responsibilities that are new to them.

I dont know if they have revamped the leadership training part of it, but that was about what I expected, having been through other professional courses on leader training.

I would like to take the new course, but am told the only way is to be part of the staff of a future woodbadge. That I am going to have to look into.

• 2 weeks later...

WAS A BEAR??

Being a Bear is like being a Marine..ain't no such thing as was.

Bears in my neck of the woods tend to be noisy and irritating. It comes from being first. I mean just look in the Bible, the original Bible. What's the first word "Bere **** " We predate dates.

The best thing I learned was the names and faces of my course mates. RESOURCES

I thought that once I finsihed the second weekend of my Wood Badge experience I would be able to provide the answer to your question. However, I can't. How can I choose over the following:

communication, coaching and mentoring, problem solving, managing conflict all within the Scouting framework. I do know that I've developed a bond that goes deeper than any I've acquired since college with my five fellow Owls. I truly believe that the new Wood Badge has provided me with a life changing experience. I can not compare with the old course but I can't say enough about the new one.

I know that I will work as hard as I can to leave a legacy!

I am in the middle of Wood badge now. I used to be a Buffalo......

In my professional career as a Firefighter/Rescue capt.. I have attended a number of leadership cources and the past 10 years have brought an oppertunity to share the knowledge and experence of leadership into a learning envronment. Wood Badge for the 21th has added to my knowledge and more importantly attitude about being a leader. I am blessed with having a Pack with humble leaders, but have heard of those who are not "so humble" WB has built an inter desire to share by example, rather than by telling.. to me, this was the best part of the course.

Rick

Had to think long and hard about this. The most important thing I learned in Woodbadge was what it's like to be a kid in a troop. As adults we tend to forget what it is like. We tend

to expect them to do things with little or no info and then we don't understand why they failed. Woodbadge let's you look at the situation from the other side, or at least it did. I'm not familiar with the new course yet.

Second best thing I learned was the importance of ceremony. Anyone that had the Woodbadge experience knows what I mean. The closing ceremony brings out great feelings among patrol members.

I'll always be an Owl!

eman

when you say

"We tend to expect them to do things with little or no info and then we don't understand why they failed. Woodbadge let's you look at the situation from the other side"

How did Woodbadge show you this? By example?

I am a BEAR in the first group to take the so call "New Wood Badge" in the USA. Just to let the old badgers know I only had six hours of sleep the first weekend and the course is AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!:)!! Now on to the outdoor part no sleep and I'm going to work my ticket if I can.

The best thing? Well, that would probably be the method the course uses to organize most everything you already know in little bits and pieces, and presenting it to you in one clear and concise order for you to use. Most of what WB teaches is, for many, stuff they already know, but have never put it all together in a fashion that they can consciuosly use. There's a lot of common sense, a lot of what you might have picked up in the military or high school and college sports, a lot of what you might have picked up as "street smarts" along the way, and, of course, everything Scouting. Outside of the WB format, few of us have ever been exposed to something that takes all of that, and puts it together in presentation and on paper, in an order that makes sense, and is user friendly.

I remember saying to myself many times when I took the course many moons ago...."Hey, I knew that already. But...it makes more sense when put together with this or that." The understanding and order the course put to everything I already knew, but didn't realize I knew, and the new information provided also, was probably the best part about WB for me.

• 1 month later...

Best thing: That it enabled me to realize a dream of most people: the ability to travel backward and forward in time -- seeing the world as a 12-year old boy again, then as an adult once again. As others mentioned, the 7 Habits stuff was mostly a review, but the practical experience was a "Peter being smitten on the road to Damascus"-level event.

I recommend it to all without hesitation if given an opportunity to attend.

"I used to be a Buffalo, and a good ole Buffalo too..."

• 5 weeks later...

I just finished Woodbadge training and now into my tickets. I was hesitating to go to this training for two reasons, but afterward, they do not matter at all. I would like to share it here and encourage more scouters to go.

1. I wonder why bother another training, especially my son is an Eagle Scout already. Actually, Woodbadge serves as a place to review what we know as leader (or be led), and put into practice. For me, it applies to my job and daily life as well, not just for scouting.

2. Why Woodbadge in bilingual? The patrol is by Chinese and English speaking in Western Region 3 for the first time. Chinese was used only in patrol discussion. It turned out the English-only scouters were not offended and we all learned a few songs (scout or folk song) in other language.

The success can be measured by the tear from each person at the closing ceremony.

Again, I would like to say that I'm using what I learned (or refreshed) from the course daily beyond scouting. Just go, I wish I went earlier.