Can You Woodbadgers Help Me Out?

I find this difficult to admit, but as old and as grey as I am, I am not sure exactly what Woodbadge is, and what the benefits are. I know it is advanced scout leader training and it requires about a 2 year committment working on a "ticket". Every time I ask around my district/council about it, they send me brochures for the next course. I would like to find out what it is before I commit to it. I have seen plenty of beads on scouters I admire, but when I ask them about it, they say it was great, you should do it, but never quite say what it is you do, could you guys educate me?

OGE,

I completed my ticket in 1995 in the Eagle Patrol. When I took the course, it was a problem solving course geared for Scouting. I understand it has changed since. I loved every minute of the course I took and I learned a lot.

Hope this helps.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

OGE,

Wood Badge for the 21st Century is an entirely new leadership development course, just introduced this past fall after test courses in some councils over the past two years. This Wood Badge is one course open to all Scouters (our course included one career Scouter). There is no longer a separate Boy Scout Wood Badge and Cub Scout Trainers Wood Badge course. Participants are divided into patrols, and team building through various exercises is part of the tradition. Participants sit through a classroom-type series of sessions covering such topics as managing conflict, developing listening skills, the six steps of effective planning, leading change, and diversity. There are also some outdoor activities, including a conservation project. All the topics are intended to help the participant build a tool kit of skills to help them develop as effective leaders, no matter what their scouting job. The new course does not emphasize outdoor skills, but participants do some patrol camping. Each council or region that sponsors a course has some latitude concerning the extent of the camping experience and how to structure the course. The course staff and participants are organized to represent an idealized troop, with various staff members serving as Scoutmaster, SPL, Troop Committee Chairman, etc., and the participants in patrols. There are many traditions associated with Wood Badge including songs, totems, and the regalia you earn once your ticket is completed. The 21st Century Wood Badge ticket is made up of several goals which you establish for yourself, which the approval of your ticket counselor, to help you develop in the areas of Scout leadership, community involvement and self-development. I guess that's it in a nutshell. There used to be a certain "mystery" involved with Wood Badge. You didn't talk about it, so that participants would discover what Wood Badge is all about when they do it. Frankly, I find this to be "old thinking" and have heard several negative stories from people who really disliked their old Wood Badge experience. Today's Wood Badge emphasizes the sharing of information and, as I said earlier, leadership skills. So I hope this helps you. It's usually a fun experience, a great way to meet new people and share Scouting tales, and, yeah, it's kinda neat to earn your beads and wear them to appropriate occasions.

OGE

You'll hear about the good stuff in Wood Badge from many, and probably lots of debate regarding the old and new syllabi;

BUT:

Most of the things that you enter this program seeking to accomplish will come to be, those that you didn't get done will be replaced by others that will mean more to you than the original goals, and most importantly; you will discover needs and capabilties within yourself that you cannot now imagine.

Whatever level you operate at within your Scouting life will be affected in a positive manner, and you will appreciate every minute of the time spent in working through Wood Badge.

So take the plunge, and share your learnings with us (continue to share) when you get your beads.

I have signed up for the spring 2002 Woodbadge course. All of my Scoutg training so far has been excellent. I'm hoping and expecting Woodbadge to be the same. It has been my experience that Woodbadgers are all dedicated Scouters with an almost fanatical desire to improve the scouting experience for their Scouts.

• 1 month later...

Woodbadge changed my life. To me Woodbadge was a journey in self discovery as well as the best practicum I could have ever attended in leadership training.

I was shy and backwards with very little confidence before I went. I had never tied the knots before, nor set up a tent. My patrol was wonderful and very patient with me as I learned.

I cried when I contemplated writing my ticket because I didn't think anyone would want me on their staff.

OH MY! Did I ever have a lot to learn about how happy Volunteers and Executives are to find a willing volunteer. I laugh now, because I have been on District and Council Training, Outdoor Committee, Jamboral, University of Scouting, Roundtable, Scout-O-Rama and many other staffs.

I found out that "Scouting is FUN!" It's difficult for anyone to explain WoodBadge [The old method--I know nothing about the new program], because it is more of an experience in sharing and discovering for yourself [along with your patrol] the lessons which are set up for you to learn.

I am so glad I went, even though very few women went those years [1984]. I am now outgoing and enjoy making meetings exciting and fun! This year will mark 32 years as a Scouter and I will always be a BEAR in my heart!