Is Wood Badge over as we know it?

There seems to be a lot of differences in interpertations of the Scoutmaster handbook and the Scout handbook. That can be seen on this very board. What seems "obvious" and "common sense" to some, is not that way to others. As Dan is saying there is a lot that is NOT written or taught. Like in my other thread, I was taught WRONG things at district training, but there is nothing in the handbooks that tells me they were wrong. I trusted that the trainers knew what they were talking about it. After all "we've always done it this way...."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice in your posting of 2:50 pm yesterday. But a piece of it points to my frustration. I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a Patrol Leader and Senior Patrol Leader Handbook and that they were good resources until AFTER my training when I stumbled onto them.

Are there any Cub leaders who have taken the new Wood Badge course? Part of the change was the elimination of the Cub Scout Wood Badge and combining it into one course. From the above discriptions, it sounds as if most of the course is foucused on managing boy-lead Troops. How are the needs of Cub leaders addressed?

Our council is offering a course in October, and I've kicked around the idea of applying. But since our training committee cancelled both Webelos position specific and Webelos Leader Outdoor Training (both prerequisites), it would mean two weekends in September and two weekends in October -- a bit much. I've also committed to national camp school this winter, so my one hour a week is booked!

Twocubdad,

Cub Scout Wood Badge was not combined into Boy Scout Wood Badge.

Wood Badge was completely restructured to serve all adult leaders. Cub Wood Badge use to be a trainer development course. Boy Scout Wood Badge was primarily an advanced leadership training for troop leaders.

Wood Badge for the 21st Century is a totally different experience. It is leadership training for all adult positions in the BSA.

I urge you to sign up to attend. it will be a great ewxperience and one that will have benefits that will expand even beyongd your scouting responsibilities.

Bob White

I am Course Director for C-34-02. We just completed the first three days of C-34-02 and will complete the last three on Sept 7-9, 2002. This is the fourth course in the Greater St. Louis Area Council using the new syllabus. Over 200 Scouters will have completed these four courses by Sept 9, 2002. The feedback from the first three courses has been OUTSTANDING. It was my privelege to serve as ASM-Program on the second course (fall 2001) and now Course Director for the fourth course. Participants complete a detailed feedback survey on the final day of the course. The new syllabus focuses on leadership, and does it extremely well. Based on my 32 years with Monsanto Company, all in human resources, I can say that the new syllabus does a great job with leadership training. We are teaching contemporary leadership skills that progressive companies put into practice during the last five years. I encourage everyone to attend 21st Century Wood Badge.

I support Barry's assessment of Wood Badge for the 21st Century. As one of the early posters on this thread almost a year ago, and as a staff member on the first "new" course offered in our council, Wood Badge now offers advanced leadership skill training to all Scout positions. The techniques taught in 21st Century Wood Badge mirror exactly those used in the business world for the past several years. Its great to see Scouting move in that direction too! Although I felt our particular course had a little trouble integrating the Cub Scouters, I think that challenge will be overcome in time. All the experienced staff on our course were experienced Boy Scout Wood Badgers, so they were having a some difficulty fitting the new syllabus into their Wood Badge experience. It sounds like many other councils are not having that trouble.

C-34-02; C-23-02, etc.

The "C" I assume is for the Central Region, the "02" obviously is for the year (2002). I have heard different answers for the "34", "23", etc. Do these numbers designate specific Councils within the regions?

The designation for a Wood Badge course, at least in the Central Region, is based on the following. I'll use C-34-02 as an example. The "C" does stand for the Central Region. The "02" stand for the year 2002. The number in the middle "34" represents the order the Central Region received the application from Council to conduct the course. Our course is the 34th applicaton processed by the Central Region.