Slingshot at pack event

"I will come up with some rules of things that are not allowed at scouting events."

The downside to this is that you will forget to list something or two, and thus those things become "allowed" because they're not on the forbidden list.

Shooting acorns or throwing rocks, both the same, dangerous and unacceptable behavior. Have a talk with the Cub.

We have a sling shot range at our Cub Scout Day Camp each year, it's very popular. They use cans hung from a frame for targets. (Trails End popcorn cans, which I find appropriate;) )

I have seen sling shot ranges set up a Pack events, they are not prohibited under the G2SS.

If you do a fall camping trip that would be a great time to set up a range, plenty of acorn ammo available. Just run the range with the same safety standards you would at an archery range.

(This message has been edited by Eagle732)

"I'm the CM. The problem was there weren't any leaders that saw this because they were busy with running the activity"

I don't want to sound snarky or rude but, part of running a Cub Scout event IS watching the boys. some leaders need to run the stations or set up or whatever, but SOMEONE needs to watch the boys. Even if the parents are there, they often look to the Pack leadership in these settings. I think the lesson learned is you need to make sure every event has someone whose primary role is the safety and supervision of the boys.

/soapbox rant

Since we were doing a derby, the leaders were helping with that and watching the boys inside a pavillion. This was at a campground so it's hard to monitor everything that goes on since it is a large area. I don't think that the leaders should be held responsible for every single pack event to constantly watch all of the boys. The parents need to take some responsibility too, so I don't blame this on the leaders. We are taking actions to change things about more parents supervising, but I'm coming into a pack that pretty much didn't have much of that in the past, so one step at a time.

"I don't think that the leaders should be held responsible for every single pack event to constantly watch all of the boys"

and this would be your response to Johnny's mother when she picked him up at the emergency room minus an eye because Billy had shot him in the eye with his wrist rocket?

Like it or not WE ARE RESONSIBLE for these boys SAFETY AT ALL TIMES!

yes it can be challenging, yes it is frustrating, but as Cubmaster, it is also part of what you signed up to do: put on a SAFE program.

I should have made that clearer. I don't think that we should be held solely responsible. The parents still need to be held accountable for their own children. We are all volunteers and can only be in so many places at one time. If I tell little Johnny to join the rest of the group so we can keep an eye on him and he refuses to and his parents do nothing about it, then I can only do so much for his safety. I try to keep as safe as possible. I currently have a parent telling me that it's ok to bring toy weapons and toy guns to pack events even though there are families around and other children so you can see the responsible parents that I have to deal with. My argument there is that if we allow that then we are pretty much saying violence is ok and where does it stop. Not all parents agree with either one of us, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

" If I tell little Johnny to join the rest of the group so we can keep an eye on him and he refuses to and his parents do nothing about it, then I can only do so much for his safety."

Yeah I get it, but that is when you explain to Johnny's parents, that either he can participate with the group, or they are free to leave. Those really are the options as when Johnny is at a Cub Scout function even if he is off with his parents playing in traffic, we are still responsible for him.

Yes, I totally agree that the problem is not Johnny but his parents, coach them along as to what is expected of both them and Johnny. I for one just don't want to take a chance in today's litigious environment.

So...defiant parents? You need to make a rule (NOT a "policy"). The difference is: Policies can be molded and adapted to individual situations. Rules must be followed as written. I'm not an advocate of having many "rules," (Our troop has very few!) but I think this is one you need your CO to back you on. Have the CO institute the "no slingshot/wristrocket" rule, put it in writing, signed by the IH/COR, and make sure everyone in the pack gets a copy. Be sure to include the rule in future events where you list all your rules. At that point, you have done everything in your power to run your pack event as safely as possible. Make sure everyone knows that rule violations may result in being sent home! If someone wants to challenge you on G2SS--well no, it's not in there, but the CO has the right to go above and beyond BSAs safety rules if they so choose. Don't like it? Go home.

These may seem like harsh measures to some, but the way I look at it: I'd rather lose a family over this issue than my house; given the choice. A CO rule, strictly enforced, protects everyone, Scouts and adults alike.

Maybe it's time for an addition to the Guide to Safe Scouting. I think we all agree that slingshots are far more dangerous than paintball and laser tag.

The question of sling shots as an activity came up for our pack. Slingshots are not listed in the G2SS, but it is listed on the Age-Appropriate Guidelines chart as 'Council/District Outdoor Program only' for Tigers, Cub Scouts and Webelos.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416_Insert_Web.pdf

The lesson I would reiterate with the pack is that scouts do not shoot things at each other. Whatever propels the item, it's the shooting 'ammo' at people that is the safety issue. Then I would approach the scout in question and his parents and let them know that you understand that the scout had a wrist-rocket at a pack event and he needs to leave the wrist-rocket and similar possessions at home.