Troop Committee question

Honestly I've yet to see an "official" vote at Pack Comm. mtgs or Troop Comm. mtgs. It is usually a "is that okay with everyone? anyone got a problem?" If the problem starts dragging down the meeting then "we will take this offline after the meeting. next item is ..."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"'Are these a part of the proscribed JLT program?'

Hey OGE, yet another example.

proscribe to denounce or condem, to prohibit or forbid."

Having served on my council's JLTC staff and aftter answering some angry questions from an scout leader or two, are you absolutely certain that wasn't the word he meant? ;^)

Proscribed - prohibited, forbidden, but also - controlled, restricted.

I assume you would have preferred:

Prescribed - set, agreed, arranged, approved

But what you prefer was not what I wanted to convey.

Are these a part of the proscribed JLT program? No, but it's a value-added reflection/discussion that supports and I hope makes the program more fulfilling within the boundaries set by BSA.

Oh 74th Eagle, what were you attempting to convey? As I read what you wrote, I see, "Are these part of the forbidden JLT program?" Is there part of the JLT program that is forbidden? Does it involve dancing girls?

If you were not refering to the currently approved JLT program, please inform us.

What I prefer is not important. The words are yours to choose, you only need to choose those that convey your meaning.

Zorn

OK, so I used an obscure definition of proscribed - controlled, restricted, imposing restraint or restriction. The intent was not "prescribed" as this would have indicated a positive connotation of following a set, agreed, approved curriculum, but allowing for interpretation. The intent was that of a negative connotation of a curriculum that would allow no leeway if done strictly according to B.S.A. methodology.

OK, so I could have used a better word or phrase. Sorry.

Now that that's cleared up; other than nit-picking grammar, syntax, and phrasing, what is your contribution to this thread? Or forum, for that matter? I have searched, but found none.

I have found the discussion here to be thoughtful and insightful, although at times opinionated to one extreme or the other. That's the nature of lively discourse. BW's last post was excellent.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I would like to hear from others how they handle decisions at the committee level.

Ahhh, how sweet it would be to have no greater responsibilities in life than to hang out in forums that discuss serious concerns and pick nits over other peoples grammar. It must be tough being perfect and living in such an imperfect world. Zorn, most people here are devoted Scouters bouncing ideas off of each other and trying to improve their contribution to scouting. They have a life, perhaps you should pursue one as well.

BTW, if my grammar or spelling isn't perfect in this post.....I really don't care. The message is important, not the wrapping.

children

remember that scout law part... kind, courteous, HELPFUL., It seems I need to be reprimanded in singling out Bob white. I read these post and do not normally contribute as it seems an excerise in inanety, nitpicking, name calling, whining etc. None of these things has a place in scouting does it. As leaders, humans actually, we have the onus of trying to make things better and be positive role models and example of character. Unfortunately, this medium, internet, is faceless, does not carry nuances, nor wit and the words hang there. It would pay to keep in mind the oath and law before we start bickering like kids in the sandbox, view it as a great way to acknowledge and manage diversity, conflict, etc. and use this medium as a learning tool (sometimes right, sometimes wrong) just as long as we all understand that it is perfectly reasonable to agree to disagree.

Tx.

J

OK, so I used an obscure definition of proscribed - controlled, restricted, imposing restraint or restriction.

I've checked three dictionaries and two thesauri and I cannot find a reference that agrees with your usage of "proscribe." Could you supply me with a source?

For kwc57,

BTW, if my grammar or spelling isn't perfect in this post.....I really don't care. The message is important, not the wrapping

Classic American attitude toward language but consider this, how do we know what your message is if we can't understand it?

I've usually found that those who say, "get a life" are usually the ones with nothing meaningful in their lives.

For Bob White

Did you use a translation engine to "decipher my name"? The idiomatic nuances of "zorn packte" are much more than simply "packing anger." However, that is my given name. I was named for my mother's Hungarian uncle. It is a diminuitve of something but I was never told what. Not that it really matters.

So you got the name Anger Packed (Zorn Packte) from a Hungarian ancestor. How fascinating. It is especially interesting that you and the others in the Hungarian Packte clan have a German name. I may misspell from time to time but that does not make me ignorant or untruthful. I did OK in my German language classes in High School and I recognize German when I see it.

Zorn Packte is pure German for Anger Packed. I did use a translator for the Hungarian version you connect yourself with, which by the way is mreg tmtt.

So Mreg, it appears you walked into your own fib.

Bob White (not my real name but then I never said it was.)(This message has been edited by Bob White)

My apologies to Zorn or Mreg or whoever you are. You're just so abusive with your snide comments to OGE about the rest of us as if we are not here and can't see what you write. So what if we misspell. Lazy smazy, they are just mistakes for the most part caused by hasty typing.

Maybe you are from Hungary. Maybe Zorn Packte is your real name. I don't care. But either talk about scouting or join an insult board. If you're hanging around just to snipe at us lazy Americans you must be a lonely, lonely person.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Meanwhile back at the ranch . . .

Our committee works pretty much as Bob White suggests. It is more of a discussion with a concensus process than a formal voting procedure. Seems to work for us. At times the Committee Chair asks for a show of hands or a "nay" or "yea", but more as a formality for major decisions such as a large expenditure, approval of the PLC annual plan and so forth. The actual vote count is not recorded in the minutes of the meeting, simply "the committee approved xxx". The counted "votes" usually are those of registered committee members and leaders. As I said though, it's not usually that formal; discussion and concensus is the norm.

As for whether or not I, as an Asst. Scoutmaster, vote or not; I do not. If a formal opinion or "vote" is needed, I defer to the Scoutmaster's decision. His input should be what counts to the committee. I feel it's my job to support him and his program. If I have a difference of opinion, that's for the two of us to discuss among ourselves or among the leaders.

My apologies to Zorn or Mreg or whoever you are. You're just so abusive with your snide comments to OGE about the rest of us as if we are not here and can't see what you write. So what if we misspell. Lazy smazy, they are just mistakes for the most part caused by hasty typing.

Maybe you are from Hungary.

I'm from Pennsylvania. As I believe that I've said before on this forum, my mother was Slovak, she had a Hungarian uncle. Is that unusual in your part of the world? If you want the rest of my family tree, my father's family was Austrian but settled in Slvoakia. Very similar to what happens here with someone from New York moving to Idaho for work.

If you had paid attention to my comments to OGE, you would have seen that I excluded typos. I was commenting on the gross misspellings and the use of the wrong homophones ("there" instead of "their" or "they're", etc.)

With all of the ire that you display on a regular basis, perhaps you name should be changed to Verdriesslicher Vogel" :-)