This is a question for den leaders.

If you had two 17 year old eagle scouts in one den as den chiefs, what would you expect them to do? And if they did that, what else would you like them to do? How much of the burden can or should they take on?

Thanks in advance!

I would not want them both in one Den. Unless it's a very large Den.

If they were Webelos II, I would want them to look at what Activity Pins were left to earn for Arrow of Light. Also include fun ones. That's first on my list. Then, I want them to include what the Eagle Scouts really like. If they play Magic, play Magic. If they work skills for the Scout/Tenderfoot Rank, do that as well.

So, besides the basics show them what fun things they did in Boy Scouts. The Den Leader is still in charge. So, the Eagle Scouts get their orders from there. But, it can be a partner ship.

I'd say that a Den Chief should be a partner with the Den Leader in planning and presenting the program. How much they do should depend on the ability and interest of the Den Chief.

I wouldn't load the Den Chief down with the whole program unless he really had the talent and interest to do it well.

For most Den Chiefs I'd consult with them on which parts of the program they would like to organize and present, and probably give them the opportunity to do the things they want to do.

That might be different things at different meetings. An Opening Ceremony here and a game there and teaching a skill another time.

To me being a Den Chief is still a part of the Boy Scout program. The Scout should be trained by the Den Leader in good teaching skills and activity planning. The program should be fun for the Den Chief.

Did I miss something????

These are 17 year old Eagle scouts, now granted all eagles are not equal, they should be able to follow the Den Leaders meeting plan and execute it.

While part of being a den chief is to impress the Cubs enough to join boy scouting it isn't their primary job.....

The best Den Chief I ever saw was a young man 15, came in like a rock star, sun glasses and bsa hat, the boys loved him like an older brother.....They hung on his every word.....He was kind and took an interest in each and every one. He didn't run my den meetings, but was a huge help with projects and outings or any old thing I asked....

I lost him to a divorce, mom moved away taking him to West virginia to live with facebook boy friend......I think of him from time to time....I hope he Eagled and will stop by someday to let me know how he is doing.

ScouterAdam-

The only reason we are both in the same den is because I'm aging out part way through the year, and my friend ages out much later. We have both stepped down from troop leadership to let younger scouts take over, so now we are going into a weblos 2 den. I don't remember much if cub scouting, and the den leader is inexperienced, so I'm looking for ideas to implement. Thank you all for your responses so far, if you can think of any helpful suggestions, please let me know!

as a den leader I never was lucky to have a den chief, but my son spent a year as a den chief when he was a 1st class scout.

his responsibilities were:

plan an opening and closing activity so that boys were kept busy while DL talked with parents about things

would be assigned at least 1 requirement from the activity pin they were working on each meeting and lead it

was also asked to pick out 1 activity pin and plan and lead it for the boys (my son picked outdoorsman as it was one of his favorites as a webelos)

attend pack meetings when able and assist DL with what is needed. For pinewood derby he helped in the pits.

if I had a den chief I think that's what I would've expected... unfortunately there isn't a set expectations - I've seen some DL use some as just gofers and I've seen some DC that just sit in the back of the room all day (even heard of 1 that fell asleep during the den meeting). Only set of expectations is for boys wanting to earn the national award (my son was 1 boy short as there were only 2 webelos II both crossed. 4 other boys in den were webelos I and didn't cross until the next year, but by then my son was onto a new position)

These are my thoughts and don't take it personally :)

OH HECK NO! I DON'T WANT TWO EAGLES AS DEN CHIEFS FOR THE SAME DEN BECAUSE YOU NEED TO SPREAD THE DEN CHIEF LOVE! ;)

If you are aging out around CROSSOVER, get with the Webelos II. And let the other Eagle work with the group that needs the most help.

As for how much responsibility you can handle? Need to talk to the DL to A) make sure that he knows how to use you ( that was a pet peeve of mine, not being used properly but trwated as another Cub) and B) Both you and the DL and ADL have a common goal and know what's going on.

I had a 13 yo Life Scout as my DC and I was very comfortable letting him run things. In fact I got called away from a my meeting by the CM, and I let him run it and my new ADL assist him.

Now I did have to reign him in one time. I asked him to do a presentation on camping, emphasizing some "old school, stuff from home equipment" since we had a bunch of new folks. Problem was he was showing off some of his cool gear he just got from selling his pigs (and yes even I was drooling at some of it). I had to remind him, but what if you didn't have all those wonderful toys, what do you do. And that settled matters.

Now I'll let you judge how effective he was.

1) My den basically followed him like puppies on some trips

2) My guys hated losing him to the Webelos IIs who needed someone with outdoor expereince.

3) My Guys know about the OA and can't wait to get elected, with one wanting to be a dancer.

4) One of my den saw the Youtube.com video the DC made on his survival shelter. He then proceeds to building one in my back yard.

I LOVE DEN CHIEFS!