I believe that unless a scout's father was himself a scout, the parents probably have little clue as to what skills their scouts are learning, and what they are capable of doing. With this in mind, I'm planning a Scout Skill Fair (i.e. a Parents Night) where the scouts can demonstrate their skills to moms and dads. A couple of scouts could show how a tent is setup, and then take the parents outside to show (and describe) a model campsite. A couple of scouts could demonstrate a square and diagonal lashings, and then take the parents outside and show them a complete signal tower. And since everything goes better with food, a couple of scouts could show the items in a patrol kit and then setup a smorgasbord of foil dinners and dutch oven desserts. We would have other presentations on first aid, map/compass etc.

Have any other troops out there tried this this same type of event? If you did, I'm currious as to what types of activities you had as well as what worked (and didn't work).

Sounds like a great idea, one suggestion:

The kids could take the parents and not just demonstrate, but also teach the skill.

"Hey, I taught my Dad how to tie a bowline"

"Boy, was Mr OldGreyEagle off on that compass course".

"The Blanket stretcher actually held Mr OldGreyEagle"

In the old days, (After B-P but before Cable)

when I was a scout, our Council had annual "Sidewalk" camps. Each troop camped in a city park in their community and set up displays and exhibits demonstrating various scouting skills. I think that is an idea that should be reborn.

Thanks For bringing back those memories(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)