Halloween Pack meeting

In the past for our Halloween Pack meeting, we had each den create a station with something for the kids to do. Over the past 3 years, one den made a haunted house in the gym. It was great and everyone loved it but they have since crossed over. Their leader is now the leader of a much smaller Wolf den with his younger son. We want to change up the meeting so that we do something fun and Halloween related but I don't want to hear "Where's the haunted house?" all night.

What are some ideas that everyone uses?

We do Halloween themed games at our October Pack meeting.

Each den comes up with, and staffs a game (pumpkin bowling, candy corn relay, bean bag toss thru witch/ghost, etc), and the dens (including siblings) rotate thru each game.

At the end we give out party bags (from $1 store) with Halloween pencils, activity book, spider rings, etc.

Games, and setup are, planned out at our Pack Leader/Committee meetings in September, and October.

We also do a Pack Haunted House on the Saturday nearest Halloween that is used as a Food Pantry service project. Each den takes a part of the hall, and creates their own scary area to "haunt". We involve Scouts, parents, and siblings. It is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun, and it helps stock the Food Pantry before the holiday season.

We just ignore Halloween entirely, and have for many years. Some parents in the pack felt Halloween was getting to much emphasis. The school has scaled back on Halloween as well because 1) parents were going overboard with treats/costumes and 2) it was interfering with academics.

We just have a regular (semi) peaceful pack meeting that uses the theme for the month. Believe me, they don't miss it.

The pack for which I'm Unit Commissioner has a Halloween Party, with the Webelos Den putting together a Haunted House behind the curtain of the school stage each year.

They just adopted their annual plan and elected not to have a meeting on October 31st. Instead the Halloween Party will be the previous week on October 24th.

I've encouraged Cub Scouts to bring in pumpkins carved at home for display. Pumpkin carving at a den meeting can be good.

We also skip Halloween and have a regular pack meeting that usually includes pumpkins. We have had a lot of fun in the past building large machines to smash or hurl pumpkins or green tomatoes or whatever else we can find that is cheap and biodegradable. Giant catapults are fantastic! Maybe you could have each den build a machine and do a costume contest to keep the Halloween theme.

On a den meeting night just before Halloween, for the last several years we've been doing a Magic & Treats night. Before that we never had a Halloween event, but I had seen somewhere in a survey of Cub Scouts that one of the favorite events during the year from the boy's perspective was the Halloween event. This is something that the Bear Den hosts, since the Bear Den has a series of magic related advancements tied to learning and performing magic tricks, etc. Any of the boys (or adults for that matter) can perform tricks, tell jokes, etc., we just let the Bears set it all up. Everyone brings treats to share, costumes are worn, and everyone has fun. And it is actually tied to completing achievements, which is great (each rank has performance achievements or electives that can be emphasized). I'll be moving on next spring, but I actually think this thing I thought up back when I was a Bear Den leader might actually be an ongoing tradition that we do.

I really like the idea of the magic act. Our district has a Scouter that is a magician. I'll have to see if he's available and how much he costs. Having the dens do a magic act would give them a chance to get up and keep their minds on what's going on. This would definitely be something new.

NancyY-

Hello and welcome. My first thought about your post was, WHY do you feel the need to change it up? If your fear is all you'll hear all night is "where's the haunted house?" Then obviously, the haunted house is a HUGE hit with the boys and its what THEY want.

After chairing my 4th Pinewood Derby, I was ready for something else. But the boys (even the older ones) really get into it and remember, its practically brand new to the wolfs and will be for the Tigers!!!

Before you go changing the program, you need to assess WHY the change. If its because the boys are bored with it, then fine. If the boys love it and the parents are bored with it (much like my son and his favorite pop song) - you play it again sam...

My 2 cents is don't be looking to fix things that ain't broke.

Dean

DeanRX

Yes, the boys loved the haunted house. The problem is the creation of the haunted house. The den that put this together had 9 kids and 9 dads that were all builders and engineers. The dads put in so much time setting this up. We don't have the same dynamics with any of the other groups. The den leader from that den is still in the group and knows how much time and energy was involved. He says that he can't do it with the group he has now.

This is more of a need to change versus we just want to change.

Thanks

Nancy