Chartered Organizations

I reading these forums over the past months everyone is stressing the importance of the chartered organization.

It seems they are of utmost imprtance in the operation of the unit. But what if that is NOT the case? We are chartered by a PTA-like organization who allows us to meet in the school. END OF COMMITMENT.

They do absolutely nothing for us, and want to do nothing. We have been told to pick our own COR. They have been invited to all Courts of Honor, Dinners, Eagle Ceremonies, etc. and NEVER show up.Most of the time they don't even RSVP. We give them a yearly donation to help their causes, and do not even get the courtesy of a thank you. Perhaps it is different if sponsored by a religious body than a school-based organization. Anyone else have these same problems? Any suggestions to get them more involved, or do we even want to do that? Thanks for the input.

We have the same problem with our pack. I think we are actually chartered by the school itself. The previous principle would come to the Blue & Gold, but he was more involved in everything. Unlike the current principal who is never seen at any after-hours school events.

I think we also need a closer relationship. I feel the unit should also live up to it's promise to help the CO. We don't do that very well. We do have boys do the flag ceremony at PTO meetings.

My suggestion is to find an organization willing to charter your troop that cares. In your current situation, if/when any controversy arises, your group will be stuck with their decisions. If they (the CO) couldn't "care less", then your troop is likely to pay a price. Your troop deserves better.(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

I think chartered organizations are an excellent concept of the BSA. What a great way to get community support and spread the spirit of Scouting! I wouldn't be surprised that most chartered organizations don't take a real active role in the troop program. However, I think it would be wise to find one that at least takes interest in what you are doing.

If you aren't affiliated with a church, then I'd recommend that your next stop should be your local Lions club or American Legion. These groups have demonstrated steadfast support of Scouting and its ideals for many years, locally and nationally. Furthermore, their ideals and dreams for our children are very similar to that of Scouting- citizenship, patriotism, community service, duty to God, etc. I'm not saying that other organization don't, but rather from my experience, these two groups have been phenomenal when it comes to showing support.

And by the way, they usually give us money, not the other way around. To thank them we take part in their service projects and do service work for them. It's a great partnership and one that I believe many groups in our community really admire.

Good Luck!

The PTA-like organization LETS you meet in the school?!? When did the PTA (or a clone) get the power to grant permission to use a publicly owned building?

That said, our CO is a local chapter of the Izzak Walton League (hunting, fishing, conservation society). They let us use their club house, fishing ponds and some other facilities and they give us money every year. We do things for them like provide labor for their spring clean-up day.

Even though they aren't active in picking SMs or committee members, it sounds like we have a good deal.

A church, that couldn't care less, once chartered our troop. They allowed us to use their building once a week, but after a while even that was frowned upon. We left. I doubt if we were missed. We certainly didn't miss them...they seemed to like the idea of being a sponsor so long as they didn't have to provide any real support. About four years ago, the American Legion agreed to charter us (pack and troop). Each year, they donate a $1,000 to us (general funds). We are allowed to use their facilities (for the most part, anytime we need them). They send representatives to the Eagle Courts of Honor. They have a plaque with all the Eagles names on it in their meeting hall. Some of their sons are in the pack and the troop. We retire flags together. They actually care about us as an organization. What a difference! Great concept, as long as you find an organization that appreciates what it truly means to be a sponsor. If I had belonged to the aforementioned church, I would have been ashamed to admit it. The pastor had a real opportunity for outreach and basically blew us off as a burden.(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

Not saying that this will happen in all cases but I have found that many times the chartered organization isn't "active" or "involved" because no one asked.

In our situation, we are chartered by a VFW Post. Leadership changes there just like in scouting. Somewhere along the way communication deteriorated to just an annual signing. Some of us new folk (not new anymore) were told that the VFW doesn't have any money and won't be involved. DOn't even ask. Well, we decided to ask anyway. With one ask we got some minor items donated and then a check for $200 to update some of our camping supplies. They have now paid for 3 of our leaders (my husband and myself included) to get Wood Badge trained. They donated money this past summer to offset the cost of summer camp for the boys, etc. Our COR is now included in all our mailings and e-mails. He attends committee meetings occasionally (he has a conflict with another meeting) and has attended courts of honors and special activities.

I am now working on an American Legion that charters one of our Packs. I have heard the same complaints about this organization not doing anything yet when I called to introduce myself and invite myself to one of their meetings I was told "please let us know what you need we can probably get you some money."

All I'm saying is don't take the complaints about charter organizations at face value. It's a two-way street. Yes, there are some COs that don't do anything but I strongly believe that many would do more if they're asked.

And, I'm with Rooster and the others -- if your Charter Organization is one that really doesn't want to help or participate then find a new one.

I have nothing bad to say about my CO the pastor of the church is married to a woodbadge trained leader. We have only had them for 6 years though before that we had a ok relationship with the CO but one thing I learned is communication is the key. Show up at meetings with the CO and talk about scouting include them in your mailings and talk to them.You might be able to mend some of the broken fences and if not look for another CO and make sure to keep the fences mended