Cub Scout award for saving a bird

How would you reward a cub scout who found a bird trapped in a drainage well and got adult help in rescue? Is National Certificate of Merit too much for this kind of thing?(This message has been edited by adreyzin)

Depending on what level he is, it could be something that could be marked off in his book and he could get his Wildlife Conservation Belt Loop. There is many bird electives in the Wolf book. Plus Achievement 5 in the Bears book would count too. Did he meet a wildlife conservation officer during this episode? Mark that off for Bear Achievement 5 something (c I think). There are several patches at the online store.http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/uniforms-insignia/insignia-cloth/other/2012-generic-emblems.html I like the Good Citizen (even though it uses the Boy Scout sign), Obey the Law of the Pack; http://www.scoutstuff.org/2011-generic-emblems.html I like the Good Citizen, I Did My Best (and these are on clearance!).

Oh Basement, don't be so harsh on the newbies. I say anything to encourage them to keep them in scouts when they are small and then they will realize when they are a little bigger what everything means. It is FINALLY sinking into my son's head, and he is starting Bears, has been in since Tigers. It is a sad state of affairs these days that kids do have to get something for every little thing they do. Yet, it does make them feel special. Heck, not many kids would even think about saving that bird, so that scout should get a little something, even if it is a checkmark in his book.

Recognition at a Pack or Den Meeting would be nice. He did the right thing and he shows concern and compassion for wildlife. I'm pretty sure he passed on some of his Badge Achievements or requirements toward a Belt Loop.

The Nat'l Certificate of Merit I'm sure does not qualify.

From Scouting.org -

National Certificate of Merit: Has performed a significant act of service that is deserving of special national recognition. Note: If the action is deserving of merit but does not qualify for a national award, the Scout may be eligible for the Local Council Certificate of Merit, No. 33732.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges/honor.aspx

suzisk8, thank you for the pointer. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I think I'll go with "Good Citizen" patch.

Basementdweller, relax and take it a little bit easy.

I did think that National Certificate of Merit will be too much, this is exactly why I have posted my question.

Oh I take it easy

good citizen patch is appropriate. Just be prepared when the parents start to come out of the wood work with why their little darling should get one too....

We have all sorts of folks on this board.....We have parents buying $500 dog sleds for webelos dens to participate in the local Klondike derby......

Lots of over the top stuff happening.....

Just figured this was one of those cases.

Yeah, I thought of other parents coming out of the wood work with their children achievements. Here are two thoughts that I have on that:

1. I think I'll do this on the Den level rather than on the Pack level.

2. If they will come out, let them. If it's something noteworthy, I'll find a patch for them too.

Patches are cheap.

Good deeds are rare.

They do make a "Good Turn" patch and coin. (Or at least they used to.)

So reward that good deed in a public setting, and other good deeds wil follow.

My boys receive a black bead to put on our den doodle whenever they report having done a good turn. Usually its something like picking up litter. If I knew that one of the boys in my den saved a bird, I would probably try to make a big deal at a pack meeting and give him something like a patch, or a coin, shaped like a bird, if possible.

Agreed with Eagle732.

Patch would be cool, but bringing him up to tell the story, followed by the whole Pack doing a cheer for him would be plenty! It would be positive recognition, no trophies, and it will encourage the cub and others to do more good turns.

If that leads to more good turns and more cubs getting a cheer done for them, I'd be ok with that trade-off in time at the Pack meeting.