Proposal - Have Webelos Den meetings at Troop meetings

It's a good concept but would not work consistently for our Pack since we are not a feeder Pack for any Troop. I could only see this happending if the boys in our Webelos 2 Den were all committed to joining a particular Troop, then I could see having their Den Meetings at the Troop Meetings if it was agreeable to all.

The Troop we visited was not a feeder troop even though it was my Troop. In the end most of those Webelos joined different troops, so I don't think feeder pack or even different troop is an issue. Including the troop where we held our meetings, we visited six different troops.

It almost seems like folks are looking for reasons to not do this. If you would rather not, I fully understand and support that decision. But it is pretty simple idea that does work. Just ask a few Troops if they have the room and are willing to give a few meetings a try. I everyone involved will find it easy.

Barry

I think this is a great idea.

A good idea for packs with a big brother troop. Would stengthen relationships. Also might enable multiple son volunteers who have a foot in scouts and cubs and with outdoor skills step in as Web den leaders.

Also could be adjusted to packs with no relationship: just do meetings at several different troops. You could wrap your activity pins and the troops' merit badge counselors into the rotation. Somewhat like, for the next six weeks while we are working on Readyman we will be meeting at troop XX. Then when we move on to Geology we will be at troop XXX. Back to pack location for citizenship etc...

Takes a lot of coordination and knowledge of how troops work, but could address two goals in the Web program -- transition and local experts.

Great thinking Fred.

-- AK

Hmm, interesting concept. Don't know if it's a good one or not as my feeling is that the CS leaders will get into the habit of running something at the troop meeting, then when the Cubs do cross over, keep it up when they need to let go.

Now I am a fan of packs visiting units and doing a camp out or two with them.

See my other posts on a similar topic about how we divided up the Webelos visiting us at meetings and camp out, pairing them up with an older scout to work with them.

>>Don't know if it's a good one or not as my feeling is that the CS leaders will get into the habit of running something at the troop meeting, then when the Cubs do cross over, keep it up when they need to let go.

Yes an adult problem. And I must admit adult problems are hitting kinda home at the moment.

Long story short, one of the most youth led unit in the district had 2 things happen this year. #1 the founding SM stepped down and #2 a bunch of CS leaders crossed over.

The new SM, while a very good guy, is not really someone I would have picked. He was a Cub leader, but with his job, he on call almost all of the time, he doesn't really have the time to commit IMHO. It appears from what I am hearing from the Scouts and reading that the real leadership has devolved to the troop committee, which is the former Cub leaders and parents. And it seems that everything is turning into Webelos III.

By that I mean instead of the youth organizing and running the meetings, the parents are arranging for MBs to be done. 4 MBs in a 6 month period to be exact.

Also from what I'm reading, the camp outs are focused on working on advancement, not to have fun. Yes I know camping is where advancement should be done, but appears that A) that is the sole purpose of the camping, and B) it looks like "One and Done." B. comes from a conversation I had with one FC Scout who couldn't tie a bowline until I reminded him of it. Then he got it, and was able to help teach my Bears.

ED,

Unfortunately it's not my troop yet, as oldest still has 16 months before Crossover. But the troop does have a place in my heart as I was the one who trained the old SM, I've worked with some of the, now older, scouts as an MBS, sat on a BOR or two, etc.

And since the troop is my CO's troop, and at the moment is still ahead of most of the troops in youth leadership, it will probably be the one oldest joins.

I'd be worried about a few things:

1 - introducing young kids into the Troop meeting. I'm not sure the BS want younger kids there. I'm not sure I want my younger kids around the older boys yet.

2 - accelerating Boy Scout burnout. We talk about how the CS program is too long. Now you're in a way adding 18 months on to the BS program.

I'm sure you could make it work, but should you? Personally, I'm a big fan of the Webelos being Webelos - an almost separate program from the Cubs or the Boy Scouts.

ParkMan wrote: "Personally, I'm a big fan of the Webelos being Webelos - an almost separate program from the Cubs or the Boy Scouts. "

Me too. Webelos need to viewed and structured as separate from both Cubs and Webelos.

Although it's been discussed in earlier threads, we've not really gotten into the mechanics much here and I think several of you have the wrong idea about this.

First, I would only suggest this for the Webelos II dens. Yeah, including the Web1s and turning it into an 18 month program is too much. Start the aligning the Web2 den meetings in September (or whenever the pack cranks up after the summer) and let it run through crossover.

Outwardly, the Webs just hold a common openings and closings with the troop and go off for their regular den meeting in between, as BD suggests. But now an again the troop may have a program which is suitable for the Webelos (like preparing for the Troop/Webelos campout) and they stay together for the entire meeting. More realistically, the troop is providing a more intensive "Den Chief" program for the den, shuffling multiple Boy Scouts in and out of the den meeting; helping with the program especially the Scout skill stuff.

But the big advantage is the Webelos get to meet the troop adults and leaders. They get to see that these dreaded middle school and high school guys aren't all drug dealers and sex fiens like their mother has been warning them of for years. Who knows, they may make a friend or two.

And this may be off topic a bit, but I really don't care if this stiffles the Webelos' ability to shop different troop. Our troop and pack together represent one Scouting program offered by the church. The leaders at least, work together to deliver a good program and the troop especially devotes a lot of time and energy into helping the pack -- everything from providing the den chiefs to organizing our joint food drive in the spring to maintaining the Scout House. As a normal course, we expect the Webelos will join our troop. If there is a compelling reason some go elsewhere, fine. But given the relationship between the troop and pack, for the Webelos do pretend they then have to give every other troop in town an even shot offends my sense of loyalty.

I agree with you completely, TwoCub. The neighboring troop meets the same day the pack and dens customarily meet, and it would be a fine part of the program for Webelos.

Dens could still visit other troops, and I would encourage that as well. There is one other troop near by that would be worth visiting a time or two.

And Webelos dens could participate in pack meetings and pack activities when it suited their needs and interests.

twocubdad wrote: "But given the relationship between the troop and pack, for the Webelos to pretend they then have to give every other troop in town an even shot offends my sense of loyalty. "

I fully agree. It also helps from another direction. Right now, families flock to the most successful troop. In our town, the most successful troop will get 20+ new webelos. And then lose 50% of them in the next year.

I'd rather see the pack/troop linkage stronger such that there is a continual set of new families that feed into each unit to help refresh it and make it a good program. Right now, with the flocking to the most popular troop it can be running away from what your charter org has done for your for four or five years.

I fully believe there should be an assumption that you continue thru the aligned troop. BUT that you can switch if you want to switch.

I originally thought troop shopping was good for everyone. I don't think that's true anymore. I think it's fine to see how different troops work. I think it's fine to switch if you want. But it should be assumed you follow in the units from your charter org.

I agree it's a loyalty thing. You dance with the partner who brought you. If the partner is a jerk, fine ... ditch'em. But ya don't show up at the dance and then start shopping for the best dance partner.