TRAPPED Den Leaders

Thinking about this, my ideal dream for a Webelos leader is recruit an ASM and Den Chief from a nearby troop. The ASM has the troop experience to make the Webelos program relate to the Troop, and I found (quite by accident) that the Den Chief experience is one of the best leadership development activities for boy scouts. I have not tried this from a district perspective, but I am curious how well it could work.

Barry

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's been said, but I think you need to rotate people through. People may come back for another tour of duty in a year or two, but everybody gets burned out.

Our current Cubmaster was a Cubmaster several years ago, and is now doing a second stint at it. We always prep the ADL for the transition, and they know and expect to be the DL eventually.

I think the viewpoint is wrong on this. It's absolutely great if the pack can choose, prepare and switch den leaders. But, from my experience, that's rare. It's just too hard to find spare leaders who are just waiting for new responsibilities.

Instead, view it as you just got a group of new scouts joining as Tigers. They have parents. One of the parents needs to step forward. If none of the parents step forward, you don't have any new Tigers. Hand them back their applications and thank them for inquiring into the pack.

Sort of like the youngest leagues of sports. Parents sign up their kids for baseball and soccer in 1st grade. They are put in groups. One of parents signs up as the coach. If none of the parents will sign up as coach, they don't have a team.

Same for existing dens. View it as the parents in the den provide the leader. If the current den leader wants out, then the parents in the den need to choose a new leader. If they don't, then the den foldes.

Same with accepting new scouts. It's the den leaders choice whether to grow the den. I've only met one den leader who said no to new scouts. But that's their choice.

Personally, I'm okay with this. If the entire set of new adults won't help, then perhaps the pack shouldn't take on the extra work of more scouts.(This message has been edited by fred8033)