Eight essentials - map

I'm a den leader for a group of second graders. I have been encouraging them to earn the Outdoor Activity Award this summer. One of the requirements is to assemble the eight essentials for outdoor activities. A map and compass are not required for wolf scouts, but looking ahead, a map and compass are on the list for bears, Webelos and boy scouts. In an attempt to set a good example, I have been trying to assemble the items, and I find myself stumped when it comes to a map.

I rather suspect that the map I need will depend on where I am, but that leaves me without any map at all, so I'm writing to ask: does anyone here carry a map with them regularly? What do you carry?

Oh, I always have a map(paper) with me. I far prefer a paper map to the GPS mapquest smartphone thingy my wife likes to play with. My stepson drove gmom to Rhode Island the other day, and thanked me for providing the AAA triptik and maps.

As you say, the map you need depends on "where I am".

When I do Scout Skills pavilion, and talk about maps, here's what I do, much to the Scouts' giggles:

I tape up a series of maps that overlap and show the difference in scale, thus: I start out with a National Geographic map of tha WHOLE UNIVERSE! this connects to the MILKY WAY GALAXY! this shrinks to the SOLAR SYSTEM! here, I show a WORLD GLOBE! then, a WORLD MAP! (NOT Mercator) Then, look at the map of the US of A! then MARYLAND! then the COUNTY! then the PARK! and lastly a sketchmap of the CAMP! Wow!! Thousands of Light Years down to Yards and Feet!

Visit the neighborhood County Tourist board or Chamber of Commerce. Also, the Parks Dept. will have maps to look at and play with. Compare the symbols with the stuff on the ground. You can find really detailed topo maps on line to order from the NGeodetic Survey. Sometimes camp stores have them in stock for sale. Might not be necessary for CS, but no reason why you can't introduce them to such. Use the map to plan a hike, and do the hike!

almost all campgrounds around here have maps that can be found either at host site or online.

we print off route maps for all drivers and then have a few maps of campsite always available for those wanting to take a hike, find a better fishing spot, etc...

I use sheet protector to keep map dry in case of rain. and then after campout will store that map back with my collection so if I return there I already have a copy.

I have a filing cabinet drawer full of maps I've accumulated over thirty five years or so. Most are USGS topo maps, but there are numbers of forest service maps, road maps and such. Also, trail guides may have maps that are useful supplements to a regular map.

Also I have platt maps for my subdivision.

I pretty much am always on the lookout for maps and pick ones up that I think might be useful.

99% of the time, I make a point of knowing pretty much exactly where I am on the map I'm using. The other 1% of the time I know I have the resources and experience to find my way when it counts.

If you only take your map out when you need it, you may not have the experience to be able to use it effectively.

If you want to go hardcore, US Geological Survey maps can be downloaded from their website once you set up an account. You can download it (it is a VERY big file), and print it on a plotter if you have one or take ti to Staples and print it up for about $12. Or you can order it for $15 from them.

Cool thing is that the new topo maps A) use satellite imagery with the topo info overlays and B) uses UTM instead of Lat and Long.

Only problem is that it's one heck of a big map.

Another thing I've done is make my own 8.5 x 11 using Google Earth for the satellite imagery and then cutting and pasting the declination info from NOAA, which is more up to date than the USGS maps.

A map and compass are not items that you would regularly carry with you to go to the local grocery store. These are items that the Scout would carry while on a hike in the woods.

The map that you would carry should be specific to the area you are hiking in. A map to downtown San Francisco would not be much use if the Cubs are hiking in the Porcupine Mountains in the UP of Michigan.

If you feel you must add this to the requirement list for your Wolf Cubs, I suggest you contact your local council and get maps of their Cub Camps.

I had my son work on his Map & Compass belt loop as part of his huge extra credit 100 page Habitat Journal project at his school when he was a Wolf. I went down to the forest service office and they had a map of the area that was $15. It had all the trails for the area (I live very close to Lake Tahoe). The nice thing about this map is that it is waterproof and it doesn't tear. A useful link I found for me who had no idea how to use a compass is http://www.compassdude.com/compass-map-orienting.shtml . I need to have my Bears do that too.