Adult volunteers who do not have boys in the program

What are your thoughts on having adults who do not have kids of their own volunteer as CS leaders? This stems from a discussion I had with another leader. I wanted to go to a community service group (the local base's officer council) and invite them to volunteer with the CS packs in the district. The council has a large population of former boy scouts, but most of them do not have kids yet (we're talking about 22-27 year olds). The other leader didn't like the idea as he said it was weird to have leaders who did not boys in the program. I had a feeling he was talking about possible attracting pedophiles. Would it be a better idea for them to volunteer in Boy Scout troops?

I know the LDS church appoints/assign adults to serve as CS leaders, but that seems to be the accepted norm for those packs. What about the rest of you?

There is no demographic that predicts pedophilia (edit: other than being male and usually self-describing themselves as heterosexual). There is nothing you can research other than someone's criminal background history to discover that about them until the horrible truth is realized. Pedophiles are just as likely to be married church-going men.

Trying to recruit based on the sorts of superstitions that paranoid housewives spread in the cul-de-sac will not be productive.

Recruit away! There's nothing wrong with a non-parent being a scout leader.

Consider this is already happening:

* The boy who stays on and becomes an ASM

* The boy who is a den chief

* The old man who's kids have aged out who stays behind and keeps going

* Just about all commissioners

* Most DE's probably have no kids in the program

http://www.journalismcenter.org/resource/child-welfare/more-characteristics-sexual-offenders-pedophiles-non-pedophiles-juveniles(This message has been edited by BSA24)

I personally LOVE leaders that do not have boys in the program. Specially at the CS level. They are not encumbered by having their own son at meetings (who usually gets the short end of the stick in terms of attention), they usually love the program and have lots of practical experience, and they tend to be in because they want to be, not because son insisted or wife is making them.

Also in that demographic (22-27), it is likely they do not have kids at all (or even wives) so they (potentially) have more time than a busy mom/dad with a job and kids and all that entails.

I think it's a great idea and I envy you having that potential base of volunteers to recruit from.

In re:pedophiles. Like Ohandad said, they come in every flavor you can imagine. Young, old, childless, parents, rich, poor, black, white, orange, and purple. There is no way to tell and just because someone has a kid in the program doesn't make them any less/more likely to be a pervert.

I too am a Cubmaster. My youngest son will be 23 next week, so I haven't had a son in Scouting for a long time. I also work with a Boy Scout troop.

I think attracting young adults who have time and energy to give to Scouting is a great idea.

Every youth group has that dilemma. The baseball league I coach in is ALWAYS short coaches, especially for the older age groups. But we criminal background check everyone.

You have to go into the idea with the understanding that there are pedophiles out there looking for a way in. You have to scrutinize everyone. Especially for those situations where isolated contact can occur.

Precious few pedophiles, and being a husband and a parent doesn't make yeh any less likely to be one. :(

Anybody who's worked with Cub Scout packs for a long time knows that one of da biggest issues with packs is the turnover, eh? Leadership is rotatin' out constantly, den leaders are always learnin' a new level as they move up with their kids. Makes for a lot of program weakness.

Boy Scoutin', by contrast, seems to attract some young adult Eagles, and Arrowman, and a few Venturers, and folks who are single, and adults who stay as volunteers after their own sons have moved on. That provides more continuity, eh? It also provides some folks who have a broader perspective, who aren't there (primarily) for one particular boy. Finally, it just provides more energy and more hands so that folks don't burn out as easily.

Go right ahead, Ohanadad. It's a great idea.

Beavah

Here's my perspective as I use to be in that category.

Scouting is my addiction and has been for a very long time. I've been registered for 30 year now.

Initially being in the 18-23yo range, no problems with my troop. District and council level had some challenges with adults not taking me seriously. But b/c of continuing involvement, no problems.

When I quit being a DE, and moved to work for national supply, I initially had some mistrust with the unit. Here's a guy who just showed up on your doorstep and they did want to know me a little better and see what I had to offer. It also helped that I was married. It all worked out very well eventually.

Ditto the expereince above the next troop I joined.And that went very well.

The key is that you gotta talk and get to know folks.

Agree, as long as you stick to YPT guidelines I think it is great. Should be easier to concentrate on the boys if you do not have to worry about the travails of parenthood.

Our old CM did it for 25+ years, her 4 boys were long gone.

Keep in mind, over in the UK, it is the Rovers (18-25) who are the leaders of the Beaver and Cub programs -- and frequently assistant leaders for the scouting program.

BTW - my son turns 31 this year ... he's been out of scouting for more than 16 years. ;-)

"Precious few pedophiles, and being a husband and a parent doesn't make yeh any less likely to be one."

Yep, they have nothing to do with each other...just as being homosexual doesn't have anything to do with it either.

> Yep, they have nothing to do with each other...just as being homosexual doesn't have anything to do with it either.

In fact, identifying yourself as a homosexual reduces the chances of child molestation. The vast majority of child molesters and pedophiles say they are heterosexual when asked which adult sex they are attracted to.